Reason
Learn about ALS
Country
US
State
New York
City
Hanster
Hi. I've been having a lot of symptoms of Als but I'm not sure. I haven't gotten any testing done and I wanna know if I should go or not. So here's how my symptoms started. I had a tremor in both hands and weakness for many months. Then I felt a drop in my shoulders and arms, where they just felt so heavy and I could barely lift them up. It first started in my left arm and a few days after my right arm felt the same way. My legs are also weak. I'm always trembling and shaking because of my weakness. I have very poor balance and I can barely stand on my toes. I shake a lot when I try to. But what's worrying me worst are my wrists. They just drop down, I can't keep them up.. I can barely pick up heavy items and it's a chore to type. My fingers are always shaking from weakness. Now I've been having muscle twitches. They're very unnoticeable. Some twitches you can see and I can feel. They happen in my arms my shoUlders and my feet. Do you guys think it's als? I don't have much money and getting tests are expensive so I'd really prefer not going if it's not als...

Sarah-
It's not appropriate to ask strangers on the internet for medical advice or to diagnose you based on perceived symptoms.
You must visit with a doctor if you are seriously concerned.

I'm sorry. I must've phrased that awkwardly. I'm just looking for some advice. I'd like to know if my symptoms are als related. I will be getting tested. And I'll be sure to keep you guys updated. I'm scared and I'd like some helping opinions from the best...

Sarah,
The hallmark of ALS is being flat out unable to lift things, move things, accomplish things with your muscles.

I am not including lifting your hand to your own face or something like that because it's subjective. So if you can still walk, sit, stand, eat, swallow, carry things, etc. as before, even though it may feel different, likely you do not have a motor neuron disease.

Shakiness can relate to diet, hydration, sleep and stress most of all, so I would work on each of those first. You can also find stretches for carpal tunnel symptoms (not saying you have it, just that they're good anyway) and lengthening your muscles generally, on YouTube. A massage (massage schools are the cheapest), fruit smoothie and nature walk couldn't hurt.

Best,
Laurie

I also struggle believing it's als. I still lift my arms like normal but my hands just keep falling. That's what's scaring me most. Also the twitches are worrisome

Hi. I've been having a lot of symptoms of Als but I'm not sure. I haven't gotten any testing done and I wanna know if I should go or not. So here's how my symptoms started. I had a tremor in both hands and weakness for many months. Then I felt a drop in my shoulders and arms, where they just felt so heavy and I could barely lift them up. It first started in my left arm and a few days after my right arm felt the same way. My legs are also weak. I'm always trembling and shaking because of my weakness. I have very poor balance and I can barely stand on my toes. I shake a lot when I try to. But what's worrying me worst are my wrists. They just drop down, I can't keep them up.. I can barely pick up heavy items and it's a chore to type. My fingers are always shaking from weakness. Now I've been having muscle twitches. They're very unnoticeable. Some twitches you can see and I can feel. They happen in my arms my shoUlders and my feet. Do you guys think it's als? I don't have much money and getting tests are expensive so I'd really prefer not going if it's not als...

Overall, this just does not seem like any ALS I ever heard of. More likely to be a problem OUTSIDE the neuromuscular system. Your symptoms make me think of diet and vitamins, but I'm not a doctor.

SARAH: You need to see a real doctor, an MD. Call your local Health Department to see if there is free or subsidized care in your area.

Thank you. That's reassuring. I'm still going to the doctors hopefully with some good news. I really appreciate all of your responses and the time you took to write them.

Hon maybe change your profile to say you are interested in learning about ALS as you are not being diagnosed with ALS, you haven't even seen a doctor yet.

All the best, and I would advise you to stay off here now until you see a doctor

Oh I'm so sorry! I must've clicked or read that wrong

Just noticed another severe symptom

Sorry for posting again but I hadn't even realized this. It must've been going on for a while but I just noticed a severe difference in my shoulders. There is practically no muscles on my right shoulder, completely tender and soft. My other shoulder is normal...it's no wonder why my arms have been feeling so heavy...

Sarah, as you see, I moved your new thread into your old thread.

Persons who don't have an ALS diagnosis must stay in one thread, please. (Don't make another thread.) Thanks.

Sorry sorry. So yeah any suggestions?

Sarah, if you're concerned you might have a serious disease, you really should see an MD. Call around and ask about their cash prices. See if your county health department can send you to a doctor that charges on a sliding scale.

As several of us have said, it doesn't look like ALS. But only you can make your healthcare decisions.

I have an appointment in 2 weeks, but this fear is killing me. I'm sorry for asking questions but having people talking to me keeps me calm

stop hon, get a grip on your own fear - don't say sorry sorry here then post again. we have to put our energy into the terminally ill here and have supported you as we could

it took my Chris SIX MONTHS to get diagnosed so it's not like we don't understand, but you don't have ALS symptoms and you only have a short wait.

all the best

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back