anotherone

Country
GR
State
Ath
City
Ath
Hi,

This another one of those posts; first of all bear with me (and I thank you dearly for it) as I've read quite a lot of topics in this forum and I'd like an answer for my doubts; I am mainly asking since goggling gives either unreliable sources or mixed results. But first of all I'd like also mention my background; I am during my final months of my MSc and will start my PhD concurrently with med-school relating big-data and organ modeling. I've also written quite a bit of code for medical equipment that do signal processing and thus I know how (most of) EMG's/EKG's/MRI's (etc etc...) work and operate; I also know (most of) their diagnostic scales and values. Now that we got this sorted out let me start. I only stating this, due to the fact that my 'scientific'-self says to me that's really unlikely to have ALS but my 'inner'-self is tingling me.

First of all my symptoms started around 4 weeks ago and their rapid acceleration means that either I am the unluckiest person in the world or that I don't really have ALS; here I have to mention that I am in my mid 20's and that I have no pre-existing medical condition of any kind except a tiny Cervical 'Problem' (a leftover from my schoolbag carrying days).

The first thing that I noticed (and this basically led me to our good friend 'Google') was muscle fasciculations; they were random with no apparent pattern in their appearance or location; they were also quite visible. There was no fibrillation in the muscle, the only thing I could see was specific muscle part (or more technically, muscle fiber array) that 'twitched' and sometimes it would happen rapidly again and again for around 10 seconds or so; at first it felt quite good but then Google lit up my fears. It has to be noted that before searching I had some muscle soreness and fatigue on my calf's but I think (after reading a bit) that's due to the fasciculations working up the muscle. That feeling of soreness was on my legs and hands as they twitch the most (or at least that's what I feel!).

Since this has been going on for around 4 weeks I haven't noticed any apparent weakness of any kind; the only thing that I have is some small (and instant) cramps while walking (or running, walking up the stairs etc) sometimes on my calf's but other than that my strength is quite good. Nevertheless I opted to get a certified opinion from a Neurologist, to this context it has to be noted that ALS in my country is particularly very rare and we don't have ALS specific clinics or doctors (at least to my knowledge [and Google's!]). The Neurologist did the usual neurological examination which he noted nothing out of the ordinary except that I had a bit of a Cervical Syndrome signs in my left side; then he noticed that my fingers on the left side where a bit weaker (around 20%) than the ones in the right side; he attributed the weakness to the Cervical Syndrome. This also was an old finding (but I didn't know about the weakness) since school as I used to carry my bag only holding it on my left side; hence this. He ruled out ALS, in fact he laughed when I told him about ALS and he wrote off some blood-work MRI (to see the Cervical Syndrome) but he didn't order an EMG; these also were optional and that I should do them only if I wanted to assure myself that I am OK.

Now the verdict is (and the question that I ask you) compared to your (initial) symptoms should I search it a bit more, get a second opinion or leave it as it is? (Of course compared to your personal experiences that is.). Finally to be honest this twitching thing has me worried, I won't lie to that :p.

I'd chalk it up to stress and forget about ALS. Too luck in your studies!

Take a vacation/rest. Go hang out in Syntagma square or the Acropolis to watch the tourists. Better yet, go explore Naxos. ( my favourite island)

My son took no break between his Masters and PhD. Worst decision ever!
He got overly stressed and overly tired.

Quit looking at ALS - you don't have it.

Thank you both for you kind words; I cannot imagine what you are going through. I just wanted to get "hands-on" opinions about this. I'll leave it at that for a couple of months and should it get worse I'll look it up again (which I hope I won't have to).

Best wishes to you all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back