Diagnosis
00/0000
Country
US
State
CO
City
Colorado Springs
Hello everyone. I hope you're all having a great day. I wanted to reach out to you guys as I'm experiencing some strange issues that lead me to believe I might have ALS.

Last Friday the 31st of January I was on my computer typing an email and all of a sudden it felt difficult to press the keys with my right hand. It was as if someone just hit the off switch on my right hand. It really freaked me out. Over the rest of the weekend I was not able to eat or sleep much which certainly isn't helping things. I've been noticing little things since then that are adding to this self diagnosis. It feels like daily household chores like washing the dishes and brushing my teeth don't feel like they used to. My dexterity feels diminished, and doing these things feels labored. The main symptom I'm currently experiencing is pain in my arms, and weakened finger movements. My arms just hurt, and feel tight and weak. No matter what I try this feeling won't go away.

Today has been quite rough. I went to my primary care DR earlier this morning and they chalked it up to lack of nutrition and health anxiety, which I tried to believe for a bit. I followed their instructions which were to get some Gatorade to replenish electrolytes, eat some good food and rest and take it easy. I did all of those things, and when I woke up from a 2 hour nap my arms were hurting even more than they were before. I was referred to a neurologist but they won't be able to see me for 7 weeks, so I've asked them to see if I can get referred to someone else sooner. Should hopefully hear back on that tomorrow.

I also want to mention that in December 2018, I had some bloodwork done and tested positive for antinuclear antibodies, which from what I've read can indicate an underlying autoimmune disease. My doctor basically said that many people test positive for this yet don't have any diseases, but I figured I'd mention it.

To summarize, the symptoms I've been experiencing are

Random
Temporary inability to use right hand while typing on keyboard (happened once)
Tingling in hands and feet (I've had this years before so it's not super concerning, but it is worth mentioning)
Muscle spasms (again, I've had these before but they are worth mentioning)

Constant/ongoing
Pain/tightness in both arms from the bicep all the way down to my hands
Weakened fingers and arms
Trouble eating and sleeping
Fatigue

From what I've read, none of these symptoms scream a definitive answer, but to me they can indicate very early stages of this disease. I would really appreciate it if I could talk to you guys about this as it's really got me worried.

MMG, please read this if you have not already done so: Important - READ BEFORE POSTING! Answers to common concerns about possible symptoms

Pain and tingling are sensory symptoms which point away from ALS. ALS is a disease of motor (not sensory) neurons and typically presents with painless failure to perform some sort of task like fastening a button or opening a ziplock bag.

Your presentation sounds like carpal tunnel syndrome and there may be some inflammatory arthritis. Carpal tunnel syndrome and inflammatory arthritis sometimes go together. Many types of inflammatory arthritis are autoimmune and can be associated with a positive antinuclear antibody test.

I recommend you see a rheumatologist. I don’t see ALS in your story at all.

Hey Karen, thanks for taking the time to read my post and for your recommendation. I also read through that link you shared which was a great read. I do think there is a good possibility of carpal tunnel and/or arthritis as I do IT for a living, and when I'm not working I like to play PC games. I'm on my computer all the time.

The thing is, why would both my arms be feeling the same pain and tightness equally? I would think carpal tunnel would present itself in one hand or the other but not both equally, but I'm no expert on the matter. Now, that weird inability to use my right hand while typing was only on my right hand, and that definitely could point to one of those two conditions you mentioned.

Could there maybe be some sort of spinal issue going on? Also, a few years ago I had an MRI of the brain done and they found a cyst on my brain. I've had another MRI since then and they didn't think it grew in size, but I do have another MRI scheduled for next week just to check on that guy as it's been a couple years since the last one was done.

I also have this 'fun' neurological issue when I exercise called scintillating scotoma, where after intense cardio I get this weird aural effect in my vision for 30 mins-1hr. It's pretty annoying when it's occurring but I've seen a neurologist in the past for this and he wasn't concerned. My reason for bringing these things up is I do have some nero issues so it's something that's always in the back of my mind that there could be more to it.

I think I will bring up to my doctor the possibility of seeing a rheumatologist as that's not a bad idea at all and it couldn't hurt.

I do feel better about your doubt that this is pointing to ALS so thank you for the reassurance on that. I will continue to track down this issue and let you guys know what the outcome is. And if anyone else has any input on the matter I'd love to hear it!

The fact that it’s bilateral (both arms) also points away from ALS. ALS starts in one area and spreads. It does not start bilaterally. But arthritis can and so can carpal tunnel syndrome. A spinal issue might be something to investigate if the visit to the rheumatologist doesn’t turn anything up. But I still think an inflammatory arthritis with or without carpal tunnel syndrome is a good bet. Whatever it is, do come back and tell us the outcome.

I truly suggest, read that post Karen gave you, at least two more times, slowly.
That is our official stance, and you are not showing anything that indicates ALS.
If you calm down on that front, and work with your doctor letting them lead the directions for investigation, I'm sure something very treatable will be found. Let your doctor 'track down the issue' that is what they are trained to do.
I do wish you all the best.

The fact that it’s bilateral (both arms) also points away from ALS. ALS starts in one area and spreads. It does not start bilaterally. But arthritis can and so can carpal tunnel syndrome. A spinal issue might be something to investigate if the visit to the rheumatologist doesn’t turn anything up. But I still think an inflammatory arthritis with or without carpal tunnel syndrome is a good bet. Whatever it is, do come back and tell us the outcome.
Thanks Karen, I will certainly reply when I have more to share. I do have an appointment scheduled with a neurologist but it's pretty far out so it will be awhile until I have more to share. You have been a big help and I truly do appreciate you taking the time to reply and hear out my concerns! :)

@affected I have definitely read Karen's replies closely and read through the link she posted as well. I do tend to worry when I start experiencing physical symptoms, but after reading Karen's reply and speaking with my Dr I'm feeling a bit better about it all. I am still experiencing problems with both my hands, and hopefully it's nothing serious, but I will try and hang in there until I can get some answers from my doctors.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back