Randolph55

Reason
Learn about ALS
Diagnosis
00/0000
Country
AU
Hi,

Since March I’ve had weakness in hands and feet (fumbling keys, struggling to plug phone into cable, general feeling of weakness from ankle/wrist downwards, the feeling of curled toes but doesn’t visibly look like it)

It started in March with 90% left side and 10% right side, with some strange tapping sensations in my feet (I’ve since concluded the foot issue is fasciculations as I can actually see parts of the skin twitch)

In early May the foot issue went away and then in early June the hand issue went away gradually (first a day or two of no weakness, then longer spells and eventually in early hand symptoms July gone entirely.)

By the end of July both hand and foot symptoms were back full time and much more evenly distributed between left and right.

Extensive blood work, brain and cervical spine MRI, lumbar puncture have all come back with no problems.

I am wondering if this on/off pattern of symptoms is commonly experienced in ALS?

There are very long waits between neurologist visits and this feels like a slow process. I’m also very worried as everything else has come back clean so far and I have no other potential diagnosis that I can identify.

Many thanks in advance

Hi there, if you could read this: Read Before Posting

ALS symptoms do not come and go- its hallmark symptom is loss of function. Sounds like you'll need to look in another direction with your doctor for cause of your symptoms.

Best wishes

Nope definitely not. Do read the post Shiftkicker linked you to though.

Clean blood work notwithstanding, I would be looking at diet, hydration, exercise, stress, and sleep, which often go along with sporadic issues such as yours. It can help to keep a diary of twitching, food, exercise, etc. and try to find ways on your own to feel better. You might reconnect with your PCP if they are not in the picture right now, and see what suggestions they have as well.

Fortunately, there is no reason to suspect ALS at all.

Best,
Laurie

Thank you all for your replies. I had read the other ‘read first’ post, which is very helpful, however the mind always finds a ‘yes, but….’ counter argument that allows things to play in the mind.

I warmly appreciate your responses and wish you all the best.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back