Diagnosis
12/2006
Country
US
State
CA
City
Yucca Valley
I am wondering if dizziness is a symptom of PLS? Sunday night I woke up with my head spinning. when I tried to get out of bed, it was as if I was on a ship that was being tossed to and fro. I had no balance at all. If I didn't have anything to hold onto, I would have had to get on my hands and knees and crawl to the bathroom . lt's gotten better, but l am still diizzy.
I don't know if this is PLS related, or something else going on. would appreciate any feedback.

judith

Judith, that is the exact thing that happened with me when I was taking both beta blockers & mestinon. They both lower blood pressure, and that kind of dizziness is characteristic of low b/p. (It's probably characteristic of other things, too, so hopefully someone with medical knowledge will respond.)

I woke up like that in the middle of the night, the room spinning and rocking (and it wasn't an earthquake!), and after an hour, decided I was probably going to have to pee in the bed, as there was no way I could walk. Every time I tried to stand up, I fell back on the bed. After two hours, I did finally make it to the bathroom, with the room still rocking like a ship! The next morning I was still shaky, but once I learned that the two meds intensified each other and I eliminated one of them, I was fine.

I'd check all your meds for interactions, and also check your b/p. It might also be an inner-ear problem.

It's a really, really scary feeling!
Good luck,
BethU

hello

i have hypotension and have the odd syncope(blackout).
what you describe sounds like vertigo,i don't get this with the hypotension but i get palpitations and cold sweats and feel like i am going to pass out and sometimes do.
before i got ill with mnd,about 3mths before i had really bad vertigo.
i had it for weeks and would even feel like i was going to fall off the sofa.
everything seemed like it was tipping over to my right.
i have wondered if i may have had a virus at that time that caused the vertigo and months later develop mnd,it does seem a coinsidence.
i would go to the doctors and get it checked out judith.
i hope you feel a bit better soon.
take good care.
caroline:)

BPV Begnin Positional Vertigo . In your ear i beleive in the Coclia theres little hairs and also some crystaline material . If the Crystaline material becomes dislodged when you tilt the head in any direction it causes these crystals to move which in turn makes you feel out of balance . Ive had this twice since having PLS ,once in the beginning and again a year later . Theres something you can do if it keeps up . Its called the Brandt Darroff Manuever . You can find this on the Net . on Google . Geo

Judith

I get bouts of vertigo like this.......hate it.......now i am almost always dizzy headed,but i do have low blood pressure always.....the vertigo is sooo different ,no fun,i hope you get rid of it soon!{{{{{{{hugs}}}}}}} Michelle

oops..

forgot to mention,that my actual diagnoses is HSP,but alot of similar symptoms,and friendly people here,so i post here:-D

judith,

my mother in law had this sooo bad and it is a Geo said. The crystal somthing or anther was off and she had to lie on her bed with her head hanging off on the side were the ear was and roll. after she did this move, her vertigo was gone! she could not believe it was as simple as that.

good luck!

ITs weird but it works LOL those little crystals in he ear come loose and Wamo you got it . Some even get sick to the stomach with it . somehow they get back in place and your good to go LOL .But in the meantime
not nice . Geo

Epley Maneuver

To get your ear Crystals back in Place , they recommend the Epley maneuver . I used the Brandt Darroff Manueuver which is more complicated . Dont know why they Come out Anyway LOL . Why dont Doctors tell you this ,they give you Meclizine or Antivert
Never helped me . The Manuever Did help . I had to do it 2 days before mine went away
3 times a day .Geo

Thank you BethU and everyone for your imput. My bout with excessive fatigue, nausea and now this dizziness started about 2 weeks after I began taking the Transderm-Scop patch for excessive saliva.
I was taking 1/2 a patch. I am not taking any other meds.
BethU, I know you were taking the patch too. Have you had any weird symptoms from it?
I am wondering if the patch has anything to do with the dizziness.
I had bloodwork done on Monday and go back to dr. for a physical in a couple of weeks. This is definitely the pitts.
I will try the Epley Manuver. Thanks Geo.

judith

Hi Olly, I also had same symptoms about six months before onset of MND symptoms, ?just a coincidence, but as yet waiting on final diagnosis. Scary huh!

[QUOTE=Judith;50089]My bout with excessive fatigue, nausea and now this dizziness started about 2 weeks after I began taking the Transderm-Scop patch for excessive saliva. I was taking 1/2 a patch. I am not taking any other meds.
BethU, I know you were taking the patch too. Have you had any weird symptoms from it?
I am wondering if the patch has anything to do with the dizziness.
I had bloodwork done on Monday and go back to dr. for a physical in a couple of weeks. This is definitely the pitts.
I will try the Epley Manuver. Thanks Geo.

judith[/QUOTE]

Hi, Judith ... reading the small print that came with the patch, it mentions that 12% of the patients in the clinical trials reported dizziness. Dizziness and "disturbed equilibrium" were also mentioned as evidence of toxicity. So maybe it has been building up in your system.

I went to a half-patch when the full dose made my mouth too dry, but in the last few days, the saliva has increased again (groan), so I'm now back on a full patch. The only effect I've noticed from the full patch this time is that now my saliva is very thick, and it's still excessive ... but I assume it would be even worse if I weren't using the patch.

Your dizziness is really worrisome. Glad you are having blood work done, and will be seeing the doctor soon. Let us know what the doctor says.
Good luck,
BethU

hello suzan

i don't think i have seen you before so i would like to say" hello":lol:
how are you doing?
the road to diagnosed is very scary but hang in there.
we are all here to help each other.
take real good care.
caroline:grin:

Speaking of Spit...

I keep forgetting to tell my neuro about MY excessive saliva though I've had it for a year and a half. Put a juicy piece of candy in your mouth and it's Niagara Falls! I'll put a tissue or two under whatever cheek happens to be on my pillow because I'll make a big wet spot by morning. Of course there's the old spit-when-you're-talking phenomenon...always good for a red face. It's not streaming out of my mouth but I have a little "groove" where it seems to come out of one side of my mouth more when it does. Not to forget I'll have a big DROP just fall out and hit the floor(or whatever). I'll even choke on my own spit from time to time!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back