Diagnosis
08/2000
Country
CA
State
ON
City
Leaskdale
Tom is still complaining of dizziness. The only medication he is on is Rilutek, but he smokes like a chimney and drinks beer like a fish out of water. (Not as much as he used to, but still more than a casual drinker would)
So-- I don't want to assume that he is dizzy from smoking with less lung strength than he is used to:confused::confused::confused:
Does anyone else suffer dizziness as well as the predictable ALS trauma?

Is he getting enough nutrition? I forget if he is bulbar or limb onset but whatever, if he is not eating enough that could make him dizzy. It sure would for me.

With my wife I've found it is more often dehydration most of the time. She will even develop this glazed look and if you ask her a question she goes all homer simpson, "duh?".
The meds can cause dry mouth, so he has a beer, the alcohol will help to dehydrate him a little faster.
As well as dizzy my wife will get headaches.

Ash.

My husbands dizziness was greatly reduced once he got his blood pressure under control. Lori

Oh, great stuff! Yes, this makes a lot of sense. He wasn't dizzy when he was drinking Gator-aid. With the slower intake of food (which comes with a lot of air and -- you guessed it air in = air out) and the alcohol with the liquid he does get......duh........ I'm stocking up on gator-aid again tomorrow!
He has never had his blood pressure tested but you can always tell when it is up -- he is so "sunburned".

Wow, if this is an easy fix I am going to scream with happiness!

OK, here was part of our fix: we simply switched him to non-alcoholic beer! Glen seems to like it just fine, and it actually WILL help hydrate him. Um.. yeah, smoking while taking in less oxygen is gonna contribute to it. And making sure he's getting enough calories. We've been able to convince Glen to have an ensure with every meal, so he gets some extra fluids plus the extra calories. Just a few more ideas... good luck!

Gatorade is really high sodium, we use vitamin water, with crushed ice in the blender, a slushy, plus he likes to chew on the ice(cringe for me) Lori

Ensure and Slushy's are wonderful ideas, thanks. Non-alcoholic beer is a future possibility --when I am buying not him -- Thanks all.

Dad's issues with dizziness were caused by two things. One was dehydration. Seems to be a theme here. Second, as the muscles weakened in his neck, he became more dizzy. He hadn't even realized that his muscles were weakening, but he spent more time looking down (doing puzzles, falling asleep with his head falling forward). Once we were aware of those things, it got better!

Best to you!

Thanks for that too. Last summer he was still riding the lawnmower to cut the grass but his head was practically in his lap. What a guy!
Now he asks for his neck brace but hates it. I watch this also.:eek:

Hi Toms! Sounds like everyone has covered it here. My 20 year old daughter, not 2 months ago got light headed and passed out. Called 911, she was awake and then passed out again. I freaked out of course. Turned out, she was dehydrated! The ER, the ambulance...and no insurance! Loads of fun. The docs said that Pedialyte is still the best thing for dehydration, (even though she didnt even feel thirsty) adults can drink it too. Here is how you find out if he is dehydrated. Have him lay on the floor, take his pulse. Then have him sit up, take his pulse again, then have him stand and do the pulse again. If the pulse rate continues to go up with each test = dehydrated. Blood pressure is also a concern.
Hope that helps!
Hugs, Kari

Pedialite, ya! I can slip it into his other beverages too.
Thanks so much, it's not that I like to be sneaky, but sometimes it's easier than listening to the objections over, and over.

Husbands, gotta love um huh!

A girl's gotta do what a girl's gotta do!

:rolleyes:

Sneaky wives, sheesh!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back