Diagnosis
10/2007
Country
US
State
michigan
City
rothbury
I took my husband to the ALS clinic today they said both of his sholders are dislocated. They gave him a cortizone shot in each. The muscles are gone. Has anyone had this problem? Judy

hi judy

early on this year i had alot of problems with my shoulders ,but at the time i had really bad muscle spasms in my arms. my shoulders were stiff and painfull, i could not reach up or to the sides. i have lost alot of wieght so theres not much flesh there, rather boney.
this is a common problem either due to contractures from spasms or muscle changes from atrophy. if mine are bad i just gently try to manipulate it carefully to keep the joint moveable. but i would ask your doc/neuro/nurse for help with pt if they are dislocating.
take care
caroline

Can you get some range of movement exercises from a physio therapist? They might help.
AL.

I'm doing gentle exersises with him But he is declining fast even with the peg tube. He is so confused. Yesterday he asked me what his parents wanted when they called and when I told him his parents had been dead for several years He said "my parents aren't dead. judy

Gail has had shoulder issues - dislocated - frozen - and had to have the cortizone shot. The shot worked well to stop the pain issues and allow the shoulder to heal.

The shoulders take a beating when you are constantly picking up a person by the underarms.

Tim

Frozen shoulder is a fairly common and very painful complaint of people who has lost most of their mobility. As the muscle wastes a very heavy arm is left hanging from the shoulder and it wears and tears on the shoulder. Range of motion exercises are very important. Cortisone shots help as well. Also, when lifting... if you can, try wrapping both arms around torso (like a hug)... means the lifter must squat... PALS head is turned to the side, so as not to catch on top of lifters shoulder as you both stand up. Lifters legs are on either side of PALS legs. Once the technique is mastered, it is a much safer and less painful way to lift and transfer as the shoulders are not touched or moved. Ask the occupational therapist at the ALS clinic to show you how to do this. If there is a large padded blanket or pad under the person... two people can lift the blanket and reposition a sitting person without touching the body at all... except for supporting the neck. ALS caregiving is such a trial and error thing... what works for one person... might not work for another... but, we tried just about every thing to find a way to work for us.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back