Disabled Parking

Status
Not open for further replies.
Go Greg! Anyone who approaches a handicapped person in a threatening manner deserves to see what he saw! I took my concealed carry class last weekend--I just need a free day to go apply for the permit.

This does raise a question. In my class they stressed two things: only pull the gun if you intend to use it (I can just hear your response to that :) ) and meet force with equal force. If you are clearly handicapped and someone stronger threatens you, obviously you can't meet his non-lethal force with like force, and if you let him slap you around a few times you'll be too week to defend if it becomes clear that he means serious bodily harm. I didn't ask these questions because the friend I took the course with says that ALS is all I talk about and I didn't want to see her eye rolling, but that's another story.

Last edited:
this is one of my true pet peves. I have called to cops on several people and had a few nice discussions with a couple other. My wife was very upset with me when I chewed out this A-hole at a rest area who was to lazy to walk an extra 100 feet. She told me I had to stop because these guys down south carry guns. I guess my Marine Corps blood interferes with my mouth.

One thing I like about what South Carolina started doing is putting the picture of the person the placard belongs to, so others can't use it. They also let you park free in metered parking. I say even if the parking lot is empty and a guys parks his truck in the space, call the police and let them pay a fine.

We also have photos on our disabled parking ID, but they are not visible when it's on the car, which is smart. But if the person is questioned for being allowed to park there, then the photo can be used to prove the right to use it. So for example if I had used a disabled spot when in town without Chris, I could have been fined as it was HIS permit, not mine.

I just can't imagine people pulling out guns in public - we have a total gun ban in Australia so far as in public. You can have a permit to own a gun, IF you have reason to (farmer or belong to a gun club). But you have to keep them locked securely and you cannot take them out anywhere except to an approved gun club.

At least that means in a confrontation no one can pull a gun on me.

But since you guys can, I can imagine Greg why you would simply pull yours in that situation. It is amazing how people think they simply have a right to flaunt anything because they can...

I was an Olympic Style Competition pistol shooter and a shooting range safety officer. I also taught firearm classes. Nuts, as you wrote...("In my class they stressed two things: only pull the gun if you intend to use it..."). I disagreed with that... many, most threatening situations can be halted with just the presentation of the weapon. I told women in the class if someone is following you (for example) in a parking lot and it appears they are following you and you feel threatened, take the weapon in hand, lay it across your chest, turn around and ask "Are you following me?" but don't point it at him/her/them.... unless they continue. Often the same will apply in home defense situations and many other.

It stirred some debate but any conversation concerning firearms will.

The best home defense weapon (my opinion) is a pump shotgun. No other sound will get someone's attention better (at night/dark) than racking one up in the chamber of a pump shotgun.

PS. A pump shotgun is about the best child proof weapon without one in the chamber.

The sound of a pump shotgun would sure get my attention!

We're off topic so I won't belabor this but I agree with you Al. I would phrase it "unless you're willing to use it." And I did follow the escalation of force rule and only displayed. No finger on trigger, no pointing weapon. No screaming "stop M-F or I'll pop a cap in your ass!".

My cop son said I did just right.

The shotgun also has the advantage that it is less of a "thru the wall" danger for your neighbor.

>He stopped when I pulled my pistol out and let him see it. Stopped but didn't retreat until his wife convinced him.
They drove off with him cursing me.

tx soln :) 911 via colt 45 :)

I got my husbands parking tag paperwork at the first clinic appointment. I figured he wouldn't need it for awhile but we would have it. Within a month of getting it, he needed it at times. Now we use it everytime we go out.

My doctor encouraged me to get the handicap tag fairly early on. I did not use it much at all in the beginning. There were a few times it made sense, and I felt bad about using it even then.

As time has progressed, I have found the handicap tag to be an essential part of daily life. I really need to park close, and need extra space to open the door wide so I can get out of the car.

And now, I am embarking on the next phase. My power wheelchair has arrived and I am diligently searching for a vehicle capable of carrying it. Soon I will experience the joys of trying to find a parking space with sufficient space to enter and exit the vehicle in the wheelchair.

Fortunately, where I live, the handicap spots are fairly logically located and many are wide enough to accommodate wheelchair vans.

Steve

The fines for parking in handicap are enough to make your eyes water here in Calif.

In Florida, it is difficult to find an empty disabled spot. I swear they hand the tags out like candy. I try not to judge when I see the "healthy" looking people get out. It does say an neurological condition for which there is no recovery. Autism would count and a host of other developmental issues. The kids look normal but ......

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back