Disability?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Grants44

Your husband does not need to retire to receive the LTD through his company, in fact he shouldn't retire if he wants to get it.

I only know my own set up for this, but my LTD insurance is to pay out 60% of what I earned in the last 12 months that I worked. Not what my salary/wage rate was, but what I actually was able to work ( which really screwed me as I continued to work less and less, and had run out of all sick pay for when I couldn't work)

Short term, as I understand it, is a state payment, and he should qualify for enough weeks to get him close to LTD kicking in.

Your husband should apply for the LTD right away, as there is a wait before he will able to receive benefits, and if he doesn't apply until he gets to the five month mark, then he's still going to have a period, even if they pay him retroactively, where he is not getting the payments. Also, the terms of my policy state I will receive the payments for as many years as I was employed by my company.

So, your husband absolutely should not retire, unless he has it in writing that he can still receive his LTD benefits after retirement. He probably won't be able to receive short term if he's receiving back sick pay, but once that runs out, if his employer pays in to the state for short term, he just needs to apply.

Of all the hoops I've gone through, ironically it was the State of New Jersey, and the short term, that actually tried to help me get the most benefits, and some guy from that department called me during his lunch hour one day to explain what I needed to do to extend my claim. Angels in unexpected places!

Phil- I can sympathize with your reasoning behind not wanting to tell your co-workers. But as the others have said- get the ball rolling way ahead of time.

what a bunch of horse pucky,Brenda!

I applied and it is pending. I am supposed to call my reviewer to notify him each time of an upcoming appt. When I called him the other day he said he was waiting to hear what the Colorado clinic had to say before making his determination.

I still work 9 hours a week ( 3 hours 3x a week) , but it is becomming difficult. When I applied they assured me ( I live in SD) that if I did not GROSS over 840.00 per month (what they consider sustainable income) I could still qualify.

Wow! There are lots of different stories on this. Please check with your unions if you have them as well as HR. My symptoms started 2002 and I was DX with ALS on Oct 31, 2006. I went to my union on Nov 9 with my letter from my Dr. (gp) saying I had been DX and was having a second opinion in Dec at University of Michigan ALS clinic. The union reps encouraged me to leave that day. I said I needed two days to clear up my caseload. I went on shortterm dis. Nov 13. Long term dis on Feb 11, 2007 or there abouts and retired still also on LTD on March 1, 2007. I was allowed to get 60% of my pay by adding up retirement and LTD. However, because my DX in Dec became a differentiated ALS and MMN, I did not get SSD on my first try. That came through in Oct 2008 and I was also put on medicare. The SSD was back dated to March 1 2007 and the medicare to start Oct 2008. Here is the big difference: I make more with SSD than LTD, but because of that LTD still needs to pay me a minimum of 100 dollars a month until I am 65. I just turned 60. Also my husband is 62 and as he was the home parent he gets SS on my SS. I am really very blessed and got credit for working since 1965 when I was a junior in high school. All of these things make a difference in what your benefits will be. And my LTD company paid for the lawyer I needed to get SSD. I was lucky enough to not have to go to court as my total health piture showed my disability in walking, writing, fatigue, age and years of work. The amount of money also depends on how much a person makes at the time. Hope this helps. Peg

Tom,

Just a note: I had symtoms a good 4 years or better before I was given DX. So I worked a long time and thought my arthritis was getting worse. In fact I had 3 different jobs during that time and I realized my main concern each time was how big was the building, the parking lot and the drive. Itwas better for me as I got better paying jobs and I was able to push through until I was DX and hated my job by that time. Peg

You guys are great!
OK, I just got an email from the woman at KY ALS-she is forwarding my info to the social worker. I got my official denial in the mail yesterday-can't remember if I posted that or not.
I thought the most interesting part was that they considered my working history, and not my health problems. WOW, guess I'll call them when I'm cured and maybe they can throw out my files! lol
Don't worry friends, I'm not giving up without a fight! I have an appt with our local ss office tomorrow at 10am. Then after lunch with my lawyer/friend-don't know if she'll be able to help or not, but at least she's willing to try! And hope to hear from the ALS social worker tomorrow or Monday.
I don't have STD or LTD-so that won't come into the picture at all. However, I am filing for the "living benefit" of my life insurance at work. Hopefully that will all come together next week!
As the stomach turns.........:shock:
-b

Hey, Brenda ... go get 'em. I don't think they knew what they were up against when they decided to yank your chain.

Hang tough.

Beth,
too, too funny!:lol::lol::lol:
Yeah, sometimes it pays to do your homework!

An update on my SSD, (while we're on the subject) As I'd written on the thread that is the Sticky: Need SSD help? See post #11; my original claim was denied because Social Security decided they had enough information without contacting the neurologist at Hopkins that diagnosed me, or my laryngologist, who ordered every single test listed on my application, and performed the only surgery (my vocal cord filler attempt)... however they did decide to contact a speech therapist I saw once at the beginning of my illness.... pretty amazing, right? So, I filed a formal appeal, and this time Social Security requested and obtained all information from these two (my throat doc and Hopkins) and has had it all in their possession since Dec 17. They also sent me the form to fill out that is supposed to help them decide how disabled I am, even though a TERI doesn't require this. (and I completed it and sent it back to them). So, I contacted my congressman, and his aide has been very helpful. Last week when I emailed her, and let her know that the SSA still hadn't moved at all on my claim, that I was stuck in Limboland, and that even though its supposed to be paid retroactively when approved, SSD certainly wasn't going to reimburse me for my COBRA payments retroactively, even though I'm unable to get Medicare because they haven't approved my claim, and therefore have to keep the COBRA in place. The congressman's aide asked that I have my doctors send her the same information, with my ALS diagnosis, that was sent to the SSA. This email was last Friday. I heard from her today, and she said she had all of the information from my doctors, she was working on it, and she hoped to have a response from the SSA by next Friday..... I remember Hopingforthebest (Patty) saying that it was a congressman that got her husband's claim pushed through finally. It just shouldn't be like this. So, anyone that is wondering if they should start the process, do it, because invariably it will take longer than you expect.

Geez ... how would any of us get through these insane paperwork screw-ups if we were really sick ?!? Fortunately, we've only got ALS or its related variations, so we have lots of time and energy to learn how to beat The System.

Aaaarrrrrrgggggghhhhh and shiver me timbers.

shiver me timbers is right!

I can't wait to "get busy" on all this stuff! Can't imagine if I were REALLY sick, gosh, I don't look sick, I work some, I drive, blah, blah, blah...

-b

That's what I was saying to my son today, at least I can type, have access to a computer, and can talk a few sentences before my voice trails off to nothing. Its (the approval process) ludicrous and should never be this way. & ~ I can say way more than "arrrgghh" just not very loud! ~ or even a little loud.

BTW, for all that have been watching the latest plane landing (into the Hudson) I live about 3 blocks from the Hudson, went down there, but couldn't get to where anything could be seen. Other than lots of flashing lights, and sheriff cars blocking the road for me. So, when I came back home, I found that the elevator in my building is now out. I have a new perspective on how weak my legs have gotten. I wonder if the SSA cares? probably not, they'd like to tell me to "plan ahead and build extra time" :-x

wow, I would venture to say I would not want to attempt very many stairs at this point!

Glad you're home safely!
Ain't life grand!:!:

5 floors, it took me a really long time. but, now I know.

Its done! I got approval today. My congressman's aide was the one that pushed them to get moving on it, and she said the SSA pulled my case to re-examine it and have approved the claim. She also said that they seem to have properly used the compassionate allowances or quick determination process for my reconsideration and fast-tracked it. :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Hurrah for good news! One less thing for you to worry about.:smile:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back