Diagnosis
00/0000
Country
US
State
PA
City
Philadelphia
Hello! Yet another poor soul who is looking for insight. This will be a little long and I’ll try to include all info.
In January I had a microdiscectomy at L4/L5. I decided to do it because the disc compressed the nerve root and I lost some sensation in my right leg and lost the ability to lift my toes. Surgery brought back function but not sensation. Great! Although my toes are not as strong as the other foot.
Now, 7 months later I have widespread fasciculations but they are GREATLY focused mostly in my right lower leg and foot. Also experiencing arm fatigue, finger fatigue and twitching bilaterally.
EMG showed polyphasics in right hand muscles and forearm. I’ve been having burning and tingling that I thought may be ulnar compression for a bit in both arms. No slowing on NCS.
Polyphasics also present in right lower leg. And I also have insertional activity and PSW in my L4/L5 paraspinals. I do not believe I have any “clinical weakness” just perceived at this point. I will be having a Lumbar MRI on Wednesday. I’m a hot mess as a 38 year old mom of three with all the worry now that my EMG was “dirty”. Any insight on my old injury/surgery causing the paraspinal abnormalities?
I will obvi discuss this with my doc, but that appointment won’t be til Oct 22! I’ll be dead from anxiety by then :(
I attached my EMG report below.
Thank you in advance!!!

Attachments

• 0B8A0406-289A-482D-9A69-80818E3B147C.jpeg
    0B8A0406-289A-482D-9A69-80818E3B147C.jpeg
    239.1 KB · Views: 353
Congrats for being cleared of ALS!! Your EMG says clearly that you have irritation of the ulnar nerve and for you to rest your elbows on pads during working hours. Since your symptoms do not say ALS, and you've been cleared of ALS, your anxious feelings are unwarranted. Most EMGs are not "ALS dirty" but are "dirty" for the exact reason you (ulnar issues), have amongst other reasons.

Please re-read the opinion part of your EMG, because I'm not sure you read the opinion initially, one more time to be assured of this. Best of luck to you and take good care.

In addition to the self care for your forearms, the report suggests a lumbar MRI to assess the extent to which your old injury is causing nerve root irritation vs. some other complication or cause. That sounds like a good idea. But this has nothing to do with ALS.

Best,
Laurie

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back