Learn about ALS
Country
UK
State
UK
City
London
Hello,

I'd like to thank everyone that comes here and reads these, and thank everyone for reading my message.

I am a 28 year old male. Past athlete, who had viral spinal meningitis as an infant.
Starting January I was lifting weights regularly and taking protein supplements. beginning in May I stopped abruptly, and within two weeks started having a twitching finger at first.

I would be using the trackpad and the right index finger would twitch rhythmically. I stayed sedentary and stopped eating so much meat and protein and two weeks after that I woke up one morning and was having full body twitches/fasciculations. These are above my knees, my face, triceps, biceps, hamstrings, forearms, calves, and even the arches of my feet. I also developed a hoarse voice a day or two after the fasciculations started.
Since starting fasciculating my feet arches and hands have been a bit sore.

My left calf and right forearm felt kind of weak, and when I exert my bicep under stationary force (like try to lift against something that doesn't move) I notice very light rippling under the skin.

I went to a neurologist who said I didn't have any clinical signs of ALS like weakness or hyperreflexia and he ordered an emg that I will have on tuesday.

I am concerned that by stopping exercise and becoming relatively sedentary right away like that started a chain reaction of nerve death due to lack of stimulation. I was also chewing a lot of sugarfree gum which is bad for nerves and the cells that support them. I am afraid given my past of spinal meningitis I have systemically wiped out the cells in my spine, giving me what will become als soon.

The twitches can be brought on by using the muscle then relaxing but they sporadically twitch anyway too. Theyre everywhere, and weren't in my mouth before but today I checked again and it looked like my uvula jumped up on its own once and I couldn't replicate it voluntarily.

I've also noticed that sometimes after a big meal my arms and feet will be kind of itchy

I am alone in another country away from my family studying and will have the emg alone. My opinion is that they will see denervation and I will be alone in my hardest moment.

What is the opinion of members who would like to reply? Again, I thank you for your time.

Opinions?
Your theory of inactivity has no basis. Twitches are common and nothing to worry about and you report a normal clinical exam. Nothing sounds like ALS. Wait for your emg but do not worry

Thank you very much Nikki.

I am not a doctor and I am relatively new to this disease but in my humble opinion, you do not have ALS. Nikki is correct and her range of knowledge is vast. A normal clinical exam in itself says no to ALS in my experience. The EMG will conclusively tell you whether there are any problems or abnormalities -- and even an abnormal one does not mean ALS. I understand you are worried, alone, and away from your home country. It can be tough and overwhelming. But I see no reason thus far to even be thinking of an ALS diagnosis. Try and go have some fun. Stress and worry can accentuate common and benign symptoms like twitching. It's hard but go andand enjoy life and if the results on Tuesday lead you back here (and I fully expect they WON'T) you will find all the help, support and resources you need. But honestly, I expect you will be just grand. Nothing of which ypu says rings ALS or any of its variants. Sleep easy.

Thank you Enthusiast. You all are very supportive and informative, and I would definitely be back right away for it.

Nothing sounds like ALS in my opinion. Have you read our Stickies at the top of this subforum? You may find lots of answers there. Your age, for starters, gives you infinitesimal odds. And only about 5% of ALS onset begins with fasciculations, and then only in the muscle where ALS first shows its ugly head. Your twitching is body wide....usually a sign of anxiety. Sounds like you have been doing a lot of reading about ALS, I would stay away from the topic if I were you. Your nerve and cell theory is really "out there". Good luck and relax!

Thanks ECpara.

Hi everyone,

tomorrow morning is my emg. I am very worried as I have frequent and bizarre fasciculations all over my body, including the muscle right above my knee toward the inside part.

Please wish me luck and pray if you like.

AJ

Certainly wish you all the best

Hi all,

Emg was normal. I will be making a donation to this forum in the coming months as part of my appreciation of this community.

Thank you all very much.

Aj

Wonderful news. Thank you for sharing and for any donation. Have a long healthy life!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back