Diagnosis
11/2015
Country
US
State
CA
City
San Diego
ARRGGHH! My Pals has been suffering with diarrhea for 3 days now. He says he feels fine, but messed the bed Saturday and Sunday mornings, and got me up at 3:45 am this morning. I thought it was the end of it and went for a walk with the caregiver here. Came home to find him back in the shower after messing himself once again.

We have been doing more and more tube feedings. We have IsoSource as the main formula, he seemed to be tolerating it fine before but perhaps because we are doing more tube feedings he is having more difficulty. I also purchased some pureed RealFood Blends because I've always been a big believer in getting your nutrients from food (where my PALS has always taken mega supplements of one kind or another).

Any thoughts or advice is appreciated!

V

I agree that the simplest explanation is the IsoSource. Its ingredients are a long way from real food, to put it kindly. Glucose or corn syrup as the second ingredient after water pretty much says it all. I would titrate on to the RealFoods (Kate Farms is another option) ASAP. You can supplement with real blended food as well, which some people use in place of tube formula.

Sorry you guys are going through this.

Best,
Laurie

Long story, but we went through similar when my wife was instructed to go off Liquid Hope (amazing, organic real-food tube-feed) for Glucerna (awful pseudo-food) due to a Type-2 diabetes diagnosis. Terrible diarrhea incidents. We gradually brought her back on to Liquid Hope and it went away. We had to regulate the transition back with Senna and Miralax, and she had some constipation before we got her regular again, but we did it. I recommend getting your hands on some Liquid Hope as soon as possible.

Hope this helps...Jon

Thank you both! I do hate giving him formula. I had ordered more of the RealFood so should get it soon.

Thanks, Jon, I had momentarily forgotten about Liquid Hope.

It's a mystery to me why diabetes would be used as a pretext for recommending a fake food formula, that will only worsen glycemic control.

Very interesting thread. My mom had her PEG tube placed 3-4 weeks ago and has been feeling really drained ever since. They gave her Jevity 1.5. She hasn't had digestion issues other than mild constipation which she was having pre-PEG, but she definitely doesn't feel well after feedings. They've reduced the amount of each feeding as what was prescribed at the hospital was WAY more than she has ever eaten at any time in her life.

I'll look into Real Food and Liquid Hope.

@bassy77 also look at how fast you give the feeds to mom. Slower is better. Pushing a meal in fast can create a lot of nausea.

Another option is Kate Farms. Jevity is the standard go to for feeding tubes I think. My sister couldn’t tolerate it.

Glucerna isn't even a meal replacement but is designed for diabetics. Kate Farms or Liquid Hope both get good reviews. Also, if you have a Vitamix, it can puree just about anything and then can be thinned with water.

I would avoid anything with corn syrup or too much sugar.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back