08/2006
Country
BE
State
Belgium
City
Brussels
Hey Guys,

I have always had digestion problems and recently it is getting worse, so I was wondering if there is a connection between Digestion and ALS, after all the stomach is a muscle.

Omar

Hey Omar! Welcome back buddy! How did the situation with school work out?

I totally think you are right about digestion problems. I think the muscles have something to do with this but also our nerves are on their last legs so the digestive system goes haywire. I used to be able to pack away an amazing amount of food, and remain relatively petite. And I would eat anything - nothing was too spicy, greasy, or smelly. (think snails) But now I can manage one piece of pizza-plain- if my face is not too tired.

And then I get the antacids out. :-D Cindy

Im not sure about digestion but.....

Not to change the topic but I have a question concerning the digestive system. Lately I have developed a serious control problem. I was told that the spincter muscle was not affected by ALS, but sometimes instead of my saying here it comes, I'm forced to say there it went. Has any one else had this problem ? Also ifit is caused by the vile stuff they put into a feeding tube I aint gettin one....

Hi capainwilly. I suspect the spincter muscle is affected. It is the one symptom that my ALS clinic takes seriously. After all, they can't see weakness, or the tingling in my lips, but the loss of control is ovious. We discussed this in probably more depth than anyone cares to read but if you want some support search our threads for more on the subject or PM me. I'm in your corner. Cindy

Hey Cindy, hey Captwilly,

I do agree with you Cindy cause now it really takes more time digesting food and it gives an uncomfortable feeling. For the Spincter muscle, I have no idea. But iis it sphincter or spincter?
As for my school now I am still waiting for the postponed meeting in Sep. ;)

Hi
Just to say that ALS only affects sketetal muscle i.e, muscle under voluntary contol. Stomach muscle is involuntary muscle and is not affected in ALS and neither is digestion.
In theory sphincter muscles are not affected and the internal muscles aren't, but the external muscles around the sphincters are voluntary and so they can become weak. If for one reason or another , the internal sphincter muscles are not that strong and the external muscles are affected by ALS , then problems can occur. Sometimes the problems are because restricted mobility and difficulty getting to the bathroom mean that people can't get there in time , so that can be a reason as well.
Hope that helps
Jean

Hey, thank you very much Jean, I guess I am learning much day after day about my disease.
I will ask my House Doctor about my digestive problems.

Hi, I am a CALS and my mother has had control issues also. Seems to have gotten worse as time goes by. She does have a peg. What we have found that works without going in the other direction is a small dosage of OTC anti diahrea med. She takes 1/2 tsp in the mornings. We get this in liquid store brand and it has taken care of the problem for the most part. Good Luck

hey Sass, tnx you for the tip, I will keep it in mind

Thanx for your input...

I am going to see a gastro doc today to discuss the feeding tube thing and plan to ask about the control problem as well. I'' keep you informed as to what he says. wm:-D

Hey CaptWilly, yes please do and Thank you cause I won't be seeing neither my House Doctor nor my Neurologist in the near future.

Omar

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back