Difficulty swallowing, chest pain after drinking, fasciculations - ALS?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MikeGreene

Reason
Learn about ALS
Diagnosis
00/0000
Country
UK
I suppose I should start with the facts, before devolving into speculation.

Nationality: British

I'm currently underoing the diagnostic process, however it's taking many months and I cannot afford private care, so it's likely to take many more until I know either way what is troubling me.

My physical symptoms as of this writing are:

Persistent cough that begins after I drink water and lasts for a while (I do not cough *during* the drink)
Chest pain/tickle (after drinking)
Fasciculations (all over the body with a notable bias for under-arm and top/side of feet. Worsen when I get excited)
(Possibly perceived) difficulty swallowing dry and sticky foods

Most of these have been going on for a while now (Over half a year since I started coughing).
The coughing and chest pain are reduced if I swallow water with my chin pressed against my chest, but recently even that hasn't been helping as much any more.

I have been checked for GERD via two separate endoscopy/gastroscopies (there was no visible cause of the issues. No swellings or damage from reflux).

I had a Nerve conduction/EMG done on my limbs (Right arm, left leg. came back normal) very early on (around six months ago) when the fasciculations were my only symptom before the chest pain and post-drinking cough manifested.

I am currently in the queue for a Barium swallow, but the wait list is very long and I've been told that It may take up to five or six months until there's a slot.

My self diagnosis (the bane of all sensible people) is that I'm aspirating thin liquids and possibly experiencing mild pharyngeal dysphagia, but I'm hoping that I'm wrong. Combined with the twitching, I'm seriously worried that this may be ALS.

I'm hoping that someone can swoop in and tell me I'm being silly and wasting your time. More than anything, it's the slowly building dread that's getting to me.

Thank you either way and I'm sorry. I know you're all very busy and dealing with a lot of stress.

I'm sorry you have had issues for this long and still have waiting times for tests.
I honestly can't see anything that would make me think ALS. My husband was bulbar onset.
Have a good read here to help you work through this logically.

self diagnosis will never be supported here - you have had clinical examinations and EMG, we won't argue against those, and the post I've linked to explains why clearly. I hope this post really helps you, and wish you the best in getting your life and health back on track.

Affective (Tillie)... "self diagnosis will never be supported here" Thank You.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back