Diagnosis
11/2017
Country
US
State
TN
City
Memphis
I can still walk a bit with walker, but on outings, I use a wheelchair. I have Difficulty getting up from wheelchair when I return.

Any hints would be appreciated!

I hope you're not beyond the help of physics, in which case you might need assistance. You probably know this but with ALS the body works differently in each part so it might not apply as much to you as to an overall weak person.

Make sure to have your feet set back on the floor. Anything at an angle of 90° and greater would work against you. Then bring your center of gravity forward as much as your comfortable, that means leaning really forward and then pushing upwards with your arms on the armrests. If your afraid to fall forward, good instincts, maybe have a person in front that can stabilize you "in case".

My PALS was awkward about getting up and really had to actively learn the motion sequence from his physio therapist once his body lost strength. It's so easy for a healthy person, you never think about what your doing until it won't work.

The higher you sit the easier getting up is. You might adjust the wheelchair, putting in a second cushion could make a difference. But make sure that you also up the footrests according to you position.

Romeo, time to start the ball rolling for a power wheelchair. When you start to lose core strength, it can go quickly. A higher cushion just for the sake of getting up, reduces your back support, changes the center of gravity and creates more skin/circulatory risk. Unless a caregiver can safely and reliably bear your full weight, trying to pop up using your arms for impetus (which could also dislocate your shoulder(s)) is a recipe for caregiver injury and/or your falling.

Bear in mind many PALS with early trunk weakness do not use a manual wheelchair for any length of time, if at all, for some of the reasons I have mentioned.

When you still have some ability to assist with standing, a power chair with anterior tilt can really help and will have other uses when you can no longer help.

Best,
Laurie

Romeo, try to get a PWC. With lift.
I use the lift to raise me up with feet off foot pedals as it goes up it straightens my legs slowly and with little help I am up.
Also I don’t do this alone or without braces on my legs. My transfere is gone but I use this technique to get up turn and sit on side of bed. I have to use ceiling lift to get back in chair.hope this is help.

Thanks for all suggestions!

I am 280 pounds and can "walk" with walker, but if rear is lower than knees, it is difficult getting up! I did add Roho cushion, but have to be careful entering van by ramp, since I was 6 foot. Wife is 5' 3 and 115 pounds

we have started medicare request for PWC. (takes up to 90 days)

I added base under ACC toilet, so feet barely touch floor making standing possible. Also raised lift recliner with landscape timbers too!

Thanks for all sugestions!

See if you can get a loaner pwc. Check with your ALSA chapter and MDA. Yes the knees higher than the seat is difficult.

How is your bed for height? That can be a challenge if it is low

I agreed with others that a power wheelchair will be a help. My standing wheelchair makes it much easier to get out of the PWC. The others with seat elevate and anterior tilt also help me.

One trick I use is to fold the foot plates up before I try to stand. I can do this by hooking the foot plate with a heel and then using my arms to lift my leg (and footrest) up.

I encourage you to start looking at a Hoyer (or similar) lift soon. With the difference in size between you and your wife, you are going to need it, and perhaps sooner than you anticipate.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back