Diagnosis
11/2015
Country
US
State
CA
City
San Diego
Before my PALS had the feeding tube inserted (going on 4 weeks ago) he was eliminating pretty well. We've done this to be proactive, but now he is having difficulty eliminating, and his stools are small and hard. I've been giving him MiraLax and prunes/prune juice but for the past couple of weeks it's been harder for him. I know he is probably having difficulty pushing as well given his weakness. Any suggestions? Thanks

V

Is he using a commercial formula, V?

Using Movicol could help, and lots of water. If he is using commercial formula there are some with higher fibre, but you need to be sure you give extra water again.

We don’t have movicol in the US, Tillie. Miralax is similar though not quite identical

He's actually not using formula much. He is still eating by mouth. We went forward with the surgery because I am concerned that his breathing is so bad and I didn't want to miss a window of opportunity.

His abdomen also seems a bit bloated, but I guess that isn't all that unusual with ALS. His PCP told me to keep using the MiraLax for a week and see how he does.

Sorry I keep forgetting you don't have Movicol there, thanks for always being so on the ball Nikki 😊

Is he taking in lots of fluids V?

Ah, success! Thanks to our lovely caregiver, he was able to eliminate today. We think perhaps there was some residual effect from the surgery, perhaps even blood going through his system. We gave him the MiraLax and lots of water and he says he feels much better now. I'm going to keep him on the MiraLax and of course keep fluids going through and see how he does from here on.

V

such great news!

“Mafeking has been relieved“ as someone I knew used to say. Historical reference to a siege, I believe! 😄

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back