Status
Not open for further replies.

Ed_96

Reason
Learn about ALS
Diagnosis
00/0000
Hi there !
I'm a 25 yo male. I went to the dr 5 years ago. I was experiencing finger tremors, muscle fasciculations all over my body. I dived into google and i got scared of the possibility of it being ALS. It turned out that i was experiencing physical symptoms of generalized anxiety. I used to be fine and doing well until 2 days ago. It happened while i was sleeping. My saliva was stuck in my throat and i woke up, cleared my throat and forgot about it. Later yesterday i started having difficulty swallowing my saliva. It feels like i try hard to move my throat muscles and it just doesn't work. For example i have 3-4 successful swallows and the 5th fails. It only goes through if i move my tongue and restart the proccess again. I haven't felt any weakness of my limbs so far. The fasciculations are regular all over my body (i've gotten used to them now), but also on the tongue, every now and then. I'm in the middle of trying to fix my life right now and i have so many plans. I'm really scared this is happening to me. Ever since i first read about ALS i made it a commitment to go to university and try to contribute as hard as i can into finding a cure for MNDs. Having the symptoms just adds more pressure to this life long mission. I don't want this to get too long, just need an opinion does this look like anything you've experienced ? The swallowing difficulty has been mild before for about 2-3 years, but now it's harder. I still don't have any weakness or muscular atrophy, despite the persistent fasciculations. I have made an appointment with a doctor next week. I've been sooo scared of this and it's been consuming every thought.

Please do go back to your doctor as soon as you can because just like it wasn't ALS 5 years ago, it won't be now.
This is truly not how ALS starts, but it could be so many things that are completely treatable.

It's very calming to know that. Thank you for your reply.

Allergies, GERD, and dry mouth are all far more common culprits, and they can all be worse/different in sleep. I agree there is no reason to think of ALS.

Best,
Laurie

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back