Not open for further replies.

sironside

Country
US
State
md
City
salisbury
I am confused. The John's Hopkins website attempted to differentiate between the symptoms found in PLS compared to ALS. They said that it mainly affects the legs and you get leg cramps. It said one of the main differences between the two is that PLS does not have twitching as a symptom. So now I don't know what to think. I always thought that if you have clean EMG's consistently that is more likely PLS regardless of symptoms such as twitching. They also said PLS is so much more rare than ALS. Anyone have any thoughts on this?

difference in symtoms

Yes PLS and ALS have some different symtoms but also some people with PLS have different symtoms than others with PLS. I have PLS and most of my problems is in the leg area with weakness and cramps. At times I will have some swallowing issues too.
I also have muscle twitching every day in arms, chest and sometimes the face. I too have had clean EMG's but I am starting to have them every 4 months starting in 2 months. Some PLSrs symtoms start in the throat area instead of the legs. Who knows, I just think we are all different and symtoms can differ from one to another. Roger

Twitching is known as Fasiculations ,when you hear a Health Care person talk about Fasics ,this is what they are reffering to . What begins first is determined by which area is affected first . For some the Legs ,this is supposed to be the most common ,then the Bulbar area or Mouth face ,throat etc . From my reading ive found PLS has around 2000 Nationwide ALS is more than 5000 deaths per year nationwide .Personally i think PLS Numbers are understated ,but many people who have it do not go to a doctor ,they just retreat into a shell and stay there . If you take 2000 people in 300,000,000 thats a small number . The numbers and facts will differ from one to another . The main thing in both is Atrophy of muscle tissue and loss of strength .The EMG is the only way to know for sure and every 4 months is over kill . I will garranty you if youve had a Bulbar EMG you wouldnt have that many as they stick needle in your tongue or under your chin into the bottom of your tongue .If that wont bring you to tears nothing will . Geo

Twitching is known as Fasiculations ,when you hear a Health Care person talk about Fasics ,this is what they are reffering to . What begins first is determined by which area is affected first . For some the Legs ,this is supposed to be the most common ,then the Bulbar area or Mouth face ,throat etc . From my reading ive found PLS has around 2000 Nationwide ALS is more than 5000 deaths per year nationwide .Personally i think PLS Numbers are understated ,but many people who have it do not go to a doctor ,they just retreat into a shell and stay there . If you take 2000 people in 300,000,000 thats a small number . The numbers and facts will differ from one to another . The main thing in both is Atrophy of muscle tissue and loss of strength .The EMG is the only way to know for sure and every 4 months is over kill . I will garranty you if youve had a Bulbar EMG you wouldnt have that many as they stick needle in your tongue or under your chin into the bottom of your tongue .If that wont bring you to tears nothing will . Geo

Hi Geo, I was wondering if everybody has to have the Bulbar EMG evetually ? I had a hard enough time with the regular EMG test on the legs and body !

Only if you have Bulbar issues ,like swallowing ,speech ,chewing the cheeks when you eat . The word Bulbar means as if a tulip (flower ) the tongue is shaped as a Tulip this is where the word Builbar came from . If you dont have Issues as those you shouldnt need one there, my last one the Doc. said we wont do the tongue as we know you have issues with it anyway . They only want to see if you have any LMN involvement if not your in the PLS Club . And after 5 yrs. you get to say i dont have ALS . Geo

Only if you have Bulbar issues ,like swallowing ,speech ,chewing the cheeks when you eat . The word Bulbar means as if a tulip (flower ) the tongue is shaped as a Tulip this is where the word Builbar came from . If you dont have Issues as those you shouldnt need one there, my last one the Doc. said we wont do the tongue as we know you have issues with it anyway . They only want to see if you have any LMN involvement if not your in the PLS Club . And after 5 yrs. you get to say i dont have ALS . Geo

Thank you for the info, I was really crossing my fingers I didnt have to do that one ! Thanks again !

Roger,

Someone can have twitches and have a clean EMG. Fasiculations can be normal. I get fasics all the time and I don't have any motor neuron disease. If you look it up on the net, it'll say that they are most often normal. Considering however that you have motor neuron disease would make people stop and think. However, your clean EMG may be a sign that it is unrelated. That is more important I think that the twitches in determing if you have PLS or ALS (this is my assumption).

Fasics are a false firing of the neuron ,like when your eye twitches or Fasics .this is a false firing of the neuron that controls that area . These can happen to anyone ,but in our case the Neurons fire in a false fashion because of the Neuronal disorder . Alot of us have clean EMGs Geo

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back