Reason
Learn about ALS
Country
US
State
PA
City
Center Valley
I first posted in late 2012 with my first twitch (among other symptoms). I have since had 5 EMG's over the past 2 years..all "clear". I twitch more all over, feel weaker, but pass clinical weakness testing. (Perceived weakness I guess) I also have constant pressure headache with clear post nasal drip and terrible new "floaters" in my right eye.

My question is.. My last EMG was clear, but the Nerve conduction said mild/moderate carpal tunnel in both hands (which explains my new stiffness and twitching in thumbs). Wouldn't the EMG portion of the test detect the carpal tunnel? Am I still in the clear with clean EMG but problem with NCS? What is the difference between the results of NCS and EMG?

ps. Anyone have chronic pressure headache with diagnosis? Any input greatly appreciated.

read the stickies here and the last month or so of posts in this section and realise that we don't baby sit anxiety people for years, sorry. lots of anxiety forums online where you can worry yourself silly.

all the best

>lots of anxiety forums online where you can worry yourself silly.

:)

I truly empathize, respect your comment and have total compassion for what you must be going through. I realize my situation does not compare, but I write because I too am physically suffering (not from anxiety), but from something that has debilitated and plagued me daily for more and more for 2 years with no answers. I keep ruling out neuromuscular only to bring it back into play as I continue to suffer symptoms. Thanks for reading

MEREPAGE: I can't imagine why you keep going back to neuromuscular concerns. You have carpal tunnel. So do I. I don't have ALS.

No one, to my knowledge, has ever considered headaches as part of the ALS diagnosis.

You might want to ask your EMG/NCV question of a medical professional. I wouldn't do it here, if I were you (since you don't have ALS). You might google "difference between EMG and NCS."

Will do.. I just see people get diagnosed after a few years of progressive symptoms and I don't understand why I can get a diagnosis ? Something is not right and I feel like dirt every day and its getting worse. I will continue suffering in silence and will rule out ALS again. Thanks for putting up with me.... again.

Feeling "like dirt" is, in one way, a good thing. You know it's not ALS.

My PALS was happy, healthy, athletic, swimming laps and literally doing cartwheels the day before she was diagnosed. She "felt fine" even when she needed walking assistance. As everyone here says, ALS is about failing, not feeling.

Maybe see a different PCP. Most of the symptoms you wrote were common and insignificant. Feeling "like dirt" can be so many things, and nearly NONE of them is terminal. So take heart. Good luck.

Right Mike.

My Chris always said he had never felt so healthy whilst being so 'ill'. ALS does not make you 'feel like dirt'. Your body simply fails you.

>No one, to my knowledge, has ever considered headaches as part of the ALS diagnosis.

unless you spend too much time in DIHALS :)

Thank you so much for the replies. I really thought most people felt lousy along with twitching and weakness. Even with gradual weakness, mine has always been accompanied by pressure headache. I will try hard to move on. My weakness must just be from my body fighting something every day...just wish I knew what it was. I admire all of your for your strength and caring compassion for us. Thanks again!

You might want to ask for a full blood workup. Thyroid and parathyroid disease can present with vague symptoms like fatigue,twitching,headache,body and joint pain. Doctors blow them off but an endocrinologist can run some bloodwork and tell you if this is your problem. Doesnt sound like an ALS forum is where you should be....

What is dihals? Just curious. I'm sure it has something to do with anxiety stricken individuals

Do I have ALS? Which is one of the names of this subforum. Unfortunate probably because it is a question we can't answer. Suspect it was chosen because it is a question often asked. The backstory on this subforum is that it was created as a place to put the anxiety ridden so that the real purpose of the forum supporting those affected by ALS could go on more smoothly and this section could be avoided by those who chose not to interact

>it was created as a place to put the anxiety ridden so that the real purpose of the forum supporting those affected by ALS could go on more smoothly and this section could be avoided by those who chose not to interact

Nikki, you are so PC :)

As you wrote, ("I write because I too am physically suffering (not from anxiety), but from something that has debilitated and plagued me daily for more and more for 2 years with no answers.") Being that you wrote in one of your very first Threads (01/03/13) that you have 4 young boys... to dismiss anxiety could be a big mistake. *(not from anxiety)* It's called denial.

You also wrote in the (01/03/13) Thread, (" Strength tests fine, but I cant walk across the room without needing to sit down.") I'd say if you're not in a wheelchair by now progression is not an issue. You're had 5 clean EMGs within two years and maybe as many NCSs, possibly involving more than one neurologist (which none have told you that you have ALS or any MND ) yet coming here denying all the testing and their professional opinions...

I was once told, "Kids do not get ulcers... but they are carriers." I think that can also apply to anxiety. Direct your research to anxiety and denial. You can move on from here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back