difference between the tobii medical device and the tobii gaming?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ReginaS

Distinguished member
Forum Supporter
Reason
Lost a loved one
Diagnosis
02/2018
Country
US
State
VA
City
--
My partner is using a surface pro (newest version) with the commercial tobii eyegaze bar for gamers(?) and it works - with a few kinks here and there. (Sometimes we need to restart or unplug the usb and plug it in again, we might have a way now for the bar to stay in place - the adhesive wore out quickly... ) Even though these are not major problems for me they are very inconvenient for him as he cannot fix it himself.)

Is there a difference between the commercial version and does anybody know what they are? Is the software different and much easier to use?

Thanks for your input.
Ina

Not sure but that is a really great discovery. I bought an eye gaze right before they released the gaming version and boy was I upset. I am so tired of the tiny screen of the tobii. I am going to use the eye gaze with my laptop. Not to mention that the tobii hangs several times a day and I have to get someone to reboot it for me.

The tobii will be demoted to being a remote control and trips out. If I can come up with a way to mount my laptop bye bye tobii...

BTW, get some museum clay, we used it when we were living in California to keep things from falling during earthquakes. It should do the trick.

Last edited:
Hi and thanks for your response!

We tried the tobii gaming bar on a dell laptop and could not get it to work right...maybe we did not have it properly in place? We could not figure it out.

For now we put the surface pro on a tray and attached the tobii tracker 4C on the same tray (right in front of the laptop) with 2-sided extra strong 3M VHB tape. We also attached the tracker cable to the tray so that it does not move the tracker out of place when we plug or unplug the unit.

Newest insight: It seems to be best to start/restart the surface pro with the tracker NOT plugged in. Once it is up and running plug in the tracker. Sometimes this process needs to be repeated when the tracker does not seem to work right any longer.

In the meantime we are ordering the EyeMobile Mini Bracket which is designed for the surface pro - it is probably just a more elegant solution - the tray works too.

Please note: we are only using the windows software and do not have the tobii software - it works well but I am not sure if someone used to the tobii software wouldn't find our approach more work.

Regina, which SurfacePro version do you use?

It is a Microsoft Surface Pro 6 12.3" Tablet Intel Core i5 8GB RAM 128GB SSD with Signature Platinum Type Cover - 8th Gen Intel Core i5-8250U Processor - 8G

we got it at one of these big warehouse stores - a bit cheaper than the list price.

I would suggest that you search Google for VisualAls System, which was designed by students at a college in Oklahoma. We had a demo of the system at a support group meeting that was impressive. It uses a SurfacePro and the gamer eye gaze. Since you already have the hardware, the software should be fairly easy to install and set up.

Thank you. I just googled that. Interesting!! VisuALS System came up. Hope it's what you mean.

They ask you to buy the hardware, send it to them and it looks they want $2700.00 for installing and "integration" of the software. :-( Maybe they are able to make it work on all kinds of systems? Though I think that the tobii eye gaze might be written for the surface pro.

We'd probably be happy to install ourselves and cut the price. :)

Though $2700 seems cheap when compared to the list price on the tobii website for the surface pro with tobii eyegaze bar and bracket which is $17,000.00 (it's the medical device version). Compared to that price the VisuALS is a great deal.

When I was writing the original post for this thread I was wondering if there is something much better about the $17,000.00 version that might make a huge difference but after reading that the medical version seems to 'hang up' too maybe the difference is small? This is a guess on my part. The tobii gaming bar is definitely longer than the medical grade eyegaze bar. It's longer than the width of the surface pro tablet and does not line up as nicely as the shorter tobii medical device eyegaze bar on their website.

The VisualAls system is $2700!!!

Short update: VisuALS would supply the computer which I think is a surface pro. (I thought at first you had to buy both and send it to them which is not the case.) Consumers would have to purchase the tobii gaming device and have it shipped to them for installation and integration of the software. They also would supply a bracket for the surface pro.

If you are looking at commercial eye gaze solutions, I would look into the LC Technologies solutions as well. They also integrate with the home speakers/controls discussed in other threads.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back