Did anyone have Fasciculations before Atrophy?

Status
Not open for further replies.
For nurse who husband has ALS and she wonders if she has it. Just like those athletes in Guam exposure to chemicals can be a cause of als. I found this out after researching before my husband had his myography. Go to google and type in Lou Gehrig's Chemicals. I typed in carpet,too,since we had gotten a piece of new carpet and padding to lay in our living room and also got a new couch and loveseat which my husband lays on 24/7. So, I felt there may be a link. And sure enough, there is some research going on about sensitivity to chemicals causing ALS. The chemicals could have been pesticides on the grass on the field the athletes in Guam were playing on......Makes sense to me. Let me know how you make out. I sure hope you don't have it, too. That would be so unfair......Linda Haupt

There is speculation about many things causing ALS including hangnails. LOL.

Nothing has been proven yet.

Much twitching but little if any atrophy.

Glen had twitching for at least 2 years before any atrophy started showing up

Hi, Mine are fasciculations before atrophy... L

was thinking about this last night. If atrophy is what happens after the muscles are kaput, how can they twitch afterwards?

My twitching and cramping began before atrophy. Iris Marie, as muscles die, the surrounding muscles try to do "the job", and apparently we have more muscles stepping up to the plate than we'd have ever expected. I don't think my feet, which are just swollen, beet red and useless... and have been now for a long time, can have any muscle left, and they don't twitch anymore. Yet sometimes in bed when I'm trying to make sure I'm "straight", and I stretch, my toes move just a tiny bit. I briefly think I might be "getting well", then come back to my senses.

Hi, meant to post earlier. I had very subtle fascic. In both upper arms only, beginning the summer before last(2008). It was only noticeable at bedtime when I lay very still. I detected no weakness or other problems until last summer(2009). Then, my weakness began in my fingers and hands, and has progressed from that point.--JK

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back