Status
Not open for further replies.
My mum started with tongue problems, she said it felt too big in her mouth, & this was in 2004. Progressed to slurring and excessive yawning. By 2006 it was quite difficult to understand her and she was having trouble swallowing & choking very easily. Dx bulbar onset in Jan 2007 and passed away Nov 2007. Symptoms were typical bulbar as she retained strength in her arms and legs & was able to walk until October.

hi-i wa diagnosed with als in oct-o7-but my speechwas slurring the spring before and progreeively got worse-i can still talk but with difficulty-i have extra salvia and eat softer foods-i sincerely hope you do not have als but some other neurological problem arlene smith toronto canada

My husband started with slurred speech in feb of 2005. By November of 2006 he was having some coughing when drinking water or wine. He was diagnosed in Feb of 2007. Today he has not only ALS but also has significant dementia. He cannot speak and only eats via the PEG tube. One year ago he was lifting weights, doing about 200 sit-ups and 90 push-ups daily. Today he cannot complete even one sit-up.
We walked across England in July of 2006 but today he can barely walk across the street.
The dementia is severe enough that he cannot think of the word to write on a wipe-off board so communicating is very difficult. Fortunetly he does not seem too get too frustrated.
I find that this forum does not have many members that can relate to the dementia but you certainly have come to the right place for information on Bulbar ALS.
I hope you find you do not have ALS.
Candi

My mom started complaining of hoarseness in her voice December 2004. We started going to different doctors to try and figure things out but no one could diagnose her until she started slurring her words Spring of 2006. She started to drool and had problems swallowing water. She was unable to move her tongue. Was diagnosed with motorneuron disease with bulbar symptoms at the ALS Clinic at Sunnybrook Hospital June 2006. She lost her speech by July 2006. Had a Peg Tube inserted Jan 2007. My mom was still mobile and her fine motor skills were still fine. She was out of breath with the slightest bit of exertion. She started using the Bipap August 2007. Unfortunately she passed away with respirtory failure Sept 2007.

Just remember everyone progresses differently.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back