Status
Not open for further replies.
I am all for a therapeutic dog!

I have a 12-year-old Schnoodle and he is the best friend you could ever ask for. He is so sweet to my Dad, especially now. My father is not exactly a dog person but he could not help but grow to love my dog Chico. He has a personality that is bigger than life.

John, my dog looks a little like Chewie who is crazy cute by the way! :p Love your pictures.

Attachments

• Chico 1.jpg
    Chico 1.jpg
    44.5 KB · Views: 311
Hoping, I couldn't agree more that a dog can be truly therapeutic. If I had to choose between my dog and Rilutek, I'd take Chewie in a heartbeat. Great name for your dog by the way and thanks for the kind words.

Thelma, thanks for the compliments on Chewie. Chico is a cutie and looks a lot like Chewie. When I went breed hunting, I wanted to get a Schnoodle and Chewie came up on the Google search. He's not a Schnoodle but a Ganaraskan, a breed (in process) that was developed in Ontario about 20 years ago as a therapy dog. They select primarily for temperament and, like Chico, he has personality to spare. The Ganaraskan is similar to a Schnoodle; it a combination of Poodle, Schnauzer, Brisson Frise and Cocker Spaniel. Very soft fur and hypo-allergenic. Another benefit of the small dogs like Schnoodles and Ganaraskans is that they tend to live longer.

Wow John, I had never even heard of a Ganaraskan and I thought I knew everything about dogs. I'm so glad I learned about them today.
12 years ago when I went searching for a puppy I lived in Toronto and checked the Humane Society almost daily for months before I found Chico. I had never heard the term Schnoodle back then. He was just a Schnazuer/Poodle mix but now they are very popular because they don't shed, are hypo-allergenic and very good with kids. And yes, they live long! Chico's only health issue so far is cataracts. His eyesight is not what it used to be but he's in great shape. I'm sure he would get along great with Chewie. Great name too!

Both Chewbacca and Chico are lovely. You have certainly given Laurence further ideas :) (I sent him a thread to view, he is not a member here). We love animals. How did Chewie learn to stay ON the scotter, John?

Hi Dani,

Learning to ride on the scooter was not a problem. When he was a pup I used to put him on the floor of the scooters (even my very small house scooter) and he very quickly got used to it. Normally he runs ahead of the scooter on a leash along roads or just loose in safer areas but when I am riding in buildings or getting aboard my van I just say "aboard", or point to the scooter deck, and he hops on. He always boards and rides the same way; enters from the left, sits forward and looks out around the steering post on the right. Early on I sometimes took a sharp corner too fast and sent him tumbling but we have both learned and he grips better and I take corners more slowly. It's pretty funny on elevators when I am talking to a fellow passenger and they suddenly do a double take when they notice Chewie sitting quietly on the scooter.

Oh , he hops on! And grips! Good boy Chewie.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back