Diagnosed with respiratory onset ALS

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you are accepted as an ALS patient at the VA they will cover all equipment costs--they just need a confirmed diagnosis. They provide me with a Trilogy at no cost, a PWC, and much else, including a stipend which started at $3000+/month and as I've worsened is above $9,000. I suggest you look into VA benefits--they've been great for me. Good luck.

Ed

Thank you @lgelb since I only need at home currently I may go that route for the time being. The doctor wrote me a prescription for a bipap, so not sure they would accept that for the astral since it says ventilator.

@Statius@ Thanks for that information about VA. I’m hoping to get that all in motion before it gets too hard to understand me. I’m trying to get the energy to finish my OneDrive with all my wishes and care instructions for family/caretakers.

Aaron,

Before diving in and buying equipment, I suggest you develop a plan.

Regardless of the resources you have available, you are likely to find that ALS will strain those resources.

Military/VA should provide you with a bipap and all associated equipment.

They will also provide you with a wheelchair, help with a wheelchair van, help with altering your home to be accessible.

But, I have found that insurance will not buy me the wheelchair I want and feel that I need. I have to pay for those out of pocket. You may also need to pay additional amounts for a wheelchair van that suits your needs and desires as well as for changes to your house.

There is just a never ending list of things you could spend money on.

That is why building a plan is so important (to me). It is worth laying out what you will need (cane, walker, wheelchair, van, bipap, stand, humidifier, cough assist, etc. etc., etc). The list can be a bit overwhelming.

Then, investigate what will be covered by military/VA. You will find much of it will be covered.

Then, and only then, start spending money on things you deem you need (are required vs desired), but the military/VA are unwilling to provide or cannot process in a timely enough manner.

As an example, here is something to consider about a bipap. I have a Resmed Astral 150 bipap/vent. I have 2 dedicated batteries for it. I have a mounting plate that mounts on a stand. I have the stand, of course. I also have a humidifier for it that mounts on the stand. I also have the circuit I use daily and at least 2 backup circuits at all times. I have several masks of varying styles (nasal pillow for day use and one that covers both mouth and nose for night use). I have spare filters as well. All of this is a system and all must play together. All of it has been paid for by Medicare. From what I have read, military/VA will do likewise.

This system of components was assembled by a respiratory therapist who had more senior folks to call on when things were confusing.

I could certainly have acquired and setup all this myself. I would have had to chase down prescriptions, figure out parts, figure out vendors to order from, return things that were incorrect, etc. It would have been so much more work and would have cost well north of $20,000 (probably $30,000).

Instead, I let my doctors/respiratory therapist figure it out and let Medicare pay for it (I assume they paid much less than the list prices). It made my life easier, got me what I needed faster, and allowed me to conserve funds for things Medicare would not pay for.

I have bought used wheelchairs and am comfortable doing that. If one fails, it would be an inconvenience. But, I only want a new and certified bipap. If the bipap fails, it is much worse than inconvenient for me.

Just some thoughts for you to consider as you navigate this path.

Steve

Of course, if you can wait for reimbursement, that is ideal. But I have to note that the Aircurve I mentioned is new, although SecondWind does inspect/refurb their used ones. And all you actually need is a mask, tubing, humidifier and machine, which for that model would add up to about 3k in that scenario.

I also have to mention that not every clinic/DME combination is all that when it comes to settings/support, as a couple thousand of my emails, along with Dr. Wong's "auto" comment, demonstrate. I am glad you have a good team, Steve.

Steve thanks for all that great advice and the understanding there are tons of comfort items I will need to purchase on my own. One of note is more caretakers than might be afforded to me by insurance because it seems I will be on my own in this. My girlfriend was studying for medical boards and said she won’t let anything get in the way of her passing so she is moving out. One problem is just waiting to get approval and wanting to start as early as I can on things. My oximetry while sitting on the couch during the day hovers around 92% and at night is about 88%. I am going to ask for another more detailed PFT tomorrow but even if insurance approved they said bipaps are 2 months on back order due to national shortage.

@lgelb Thanks for offering bipap support on here, I will probably be reaching out Friday. I got several kinds of masks to try and I ordered the ST-A(new) overnight so it will be here Friday.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back