Diagnosis
10/2016
Country
US
State
OR
City
Hillsboro
I am at wits end. I can no longer brush my teeth or rinse out my mouth. I can munch ice and suction out the residual toothpaste. I am not eating anything bu mouth but can't stand the taste of saliva. What do PALS do?

Hi Kw1234; I think my wife (PALS) will face the same dental hygiene problems in the future so I'll add my support to your question. There must be others on this forum who have tackled this problem.

I cannot brush or rinse - my gag reflex is so bad that anything in my mouth causes gagging leading to vomiting. So I resolved myself to just not being able to clean my teeth.

There are little finger cot things that brush without leaving much residue. There are also those dissolvable mouthwash strips.

I gave up four years ago. No big deal.

I also had to stop brushing my husband's teeth a few months ago. He takes all food and drink through the PEG tube. I was using a miniscule amount of toothpaste but he started gagging and coughing so I felt the risk of aspiration was not worth it. Brushing seemed to be causing a significant increase in salivation now that he could not handle. Also stopped going to the dentist for routine twice a year cleanings for the same reason. I asked his dentist about this the last time I had an appointment and he suggested using an electric toothbrush with a small brush tip and no toothpaste but this has not really worked either.

Sharon

Sharon

This is a great question.

I am fortunate that I can still have someone brush my teeth or I can swish around mouthwash.

As Nikki mentioned, my first thought was the dissolvable strips you put on the top of your tongue.

Maybe just let a regular breath mint dissolve, although this may cause too much saliva.

Matt

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back