Diagnosis
08/2015
Country
US
State
South
City
The Beach
I went to the dentist for a cleaning and complete set of Xrays a couple of weeks ago. I have two crowns that need replacing.

At first I thought about it but then decided I needed to get them done while I can still tolerate someone fiddling in my mouth for an hour or so. One is a molar that has had a crown for over 40 years and the other is 15 years old and cracked. The molar has a cavity under it. They won't pull it. I'd have to get an oral surgeon to do that.

So I just wanted to let people know to get any necessary dental work done before it becomes impossible and don't neglect other routine care like eye exams, etc.

I have several other conditions that I need to address while I still can.

Good advice, Kim. I’m seriously thinking of getting vision correction surgery sometime this year, with the thinking that if I ever need to use eye gaze technology, it would be a heck of a lot easier to do it with thin glasses rather than with the coke-bottle lenses I have now (I generally wear contacts, but realize I’ll have to switch over to glasses when my hand function becomes limiting). The advice is also applicable to dental procedures and also certainly to any financial decisions.

Karen,
I had lasik in 2001. It corrected me to 20/20 and lasted a good five or six years. I had worn glasses since age 6. When my vision started to regress, I went into contacts and used reading glasses, when necessary. Now I'm in progressive lenses and they are not good for eye gaze or balance issues. I'm thinking of calling the guy who did the lasik surgery because he is offering a new type and the only doctor in central Florida who does it. I'm hoping I can get it again. My regular eye doctor said my 2001 lasik was hardly evident so I might be a good candidate.

I would do it again in a heartbeat. I had horrible vision and wore coke bottles or contacts all my life until the procedure. He did both eyes on the same day and it took a total of 10 minutes. They felt a little gritty for a few hours so I took a nap and woke up seeing 20/20. It was like a miracle.

Go for it.

Definitely good advice. I had my latest cleaning a week or so ago, and I gagged the hygienist out of my mouth half a dozen times, had to take breaks to calm my gag reflex (which is over-active due to als). Then my jaw spasmed/clenched involuntarily and I bit her! It wasn't fun but we finally got it done.

I had terrible vision- a point away from legally blind-- got lasik surgery right after I was diagnosed for the same reason you are thinking, Karen, eye-gaze tech, plus also just having hands too weak to adjust glasses, take them on/off etc. Best money I've ever spent possibly!! I'm so, so happy I did it. It really makes every day life so much simpler.

I have needed to go to the dentist for a few years. I have a few bad crowns and a cracked molar, but am hesitant to go cuz of my gag reflex, don't know how I could sit thru it.

I had a corneal transplant and cataract removal about two years ago. The doctor was very concerned about my ALS and would not allow a general anesthetic. She did the entire procedure with local eye drops. She had never done these procedures with local anesthetic and said I was brave to allow her to do it that way.

It was a catastrophic b!tch (wildly uncomfortable) for me to sit thru that being fully aware of each move of the scalpel. My cornea issue was not related to ALS. It was a breakdown of cells in the cornea. The condition is known as Fuches Dystrophy. I can see out of the eye now, but the right lens on my glasses resembles a coke bottle.

just sharin

In many cities, one of the clinics at the local dental school will be "special" or "advanced" dentistry where they can deal with spasticity, wheelchairs, etc. There can also be private clinics with this focus.

Shop around. The first such clinic we tried here wanted Larry to be hospitalized and have a boatload of fillings. Someone needed a new boat. We declined.

The second did one or two and was far more on point in every respect.

Our speech pathologist really stressed dental hygiene. Especially with PBP .Jim had his teeth cleaned a month ago. He brushes after the meal's he can eat.The peg has been a blessing for taking pills.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back