Diagnosis
06/2019
Country
CA
State
SK
City
Swift current
My husband had a chest X-ray today because they saw a shadow on the lung last week. When he was explaining it to us tonight he said that the lower part of the lungs have collapsed. I’ve never heard that happening except on tv and it always meant a balloon and surgery. So I’m not understanding what this means exactly. He’s our family dr fresh out of med school so I’m not sure if it’s just because larrys his first ALS patient or if it’s me. What exactly does this mean? Am I reading to much into that phrase or not enough?

It sounds like he has atelectasis. some of the little air sacs collapse and the lungs don’t fill properly. It often happens on both sides. Depending on the cause it often does not need treatment. It can happen from immobility and inability to take deep breaths to expand the lungs regularly

you are thinking of a pneumothorax where air leaks into the chest cavity and collapses the lung

can you call the doctor and talk about this? If nothing else it will teach him to explain better

I realized tonight I’m not anywhere near prepared or have enough knowledge for what’s happening. I put my husband to bed and somehow he ended in the wrong position and started gasping for air. I was able to sit him up got his oxygen on gave him a shot of morphine and tried to get him to relax. I had my phone in my hand to call 911 and then everything clicked and he was breathing ok again. It’s the first time this has happened and I have no idea what I’m doing. I’ve read ive talked to his drs but I am so scared I will do something wrong. He’s still so constipated that it is pushing on his diaphragm and I’ve talked to his doctor every day this week and given him everything he’s told me to give him but it doesn’t seem to be working and he won’t go to the hospital and I’ve never felt so terrified as I did tonight. You all seem so knowledgeable and prepared. And I wish I knew what I was doing.

I'm sorry, he's on oxygen, BiPAP, or both?

If there is actually stool in his rectum, some of us have used a gloved hand to, well, dig it out, while he hovers in the sling.

As you are aware, morphine and other compounds that are sedating, make it harder to participate in pushing. Were there any other changes today?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back