Diagnosis
07/2012
Country
CA
State
B.C.
City
Salmon Arm
My husband is now at the stage where he is having difficulty swallowing his saliva unless he is in a complete upright position. This is not a problem during the day, while he is up in his pwc, but is when he is in bed. His bed turns him automatically on a programmed schedule, but does have a limit to which he can sit up while it is turning.
A friend of mine came over to help me one day when I was having some difficulty dealing with a choking spell, and brought along something that she uses with her son that has Cerebral Palsy, and difficulty swallowing. They give him 2 drops of 1% Atropine ophthalmic drops under his tongue twice a day, and it decreases his saliva. I have used it in the hospital for other things but never for this. It can speed the heart up, but is unlikely at the strength that it is given. It is absorbed under the tongue, so no swallowing necessary, but is not pleasant tasting.
Tim uses 2 drops just before he goes to bed, and have found it to be a tremendous help. I just contacted his doctor and told her about the drops and she sent an order to our pharmacy.
Paulette

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back