Diagnosis
09/2007
Country
CA
State
BC
City
Lower Mainland
My PALS is unable to walk, and move her arms much. She does puzzles and gets tired out moving her arm just across the table to push a piece into place. Her fingers can not pick up a piece. The dexterity is gone. She is currently feeding herself, but its a balancing act between the fingers. We do not have a wheelchair van. Assuming you need one because they dont fold up eh

She is not an outdoors person and goes out maybe once a week for social occasions, maybe twice some days. She will have the occasional doctor appointment. But, for the most part stays at home.

She can not move the wheelchair around herself and have been thinking about a power chair. She does not want one. Says they are too big and bulky. Im sure though there are more than just one kind. Im going to see what kinds the loan closet has.

But, wondering, when is a power chair indicated and when would it not be a good idea.

Can she ride in a power chair to visit others for her social occasions? Is she demanding that others push her in the manual chair to an unwelcome degree? In many places, handicap vans can be rented, if public transportation isn't available.

If she's comfortable in her manual and moving her isn't a problem for others, I'd suggest leaving the situation alone. I'd have been so miserable in it (sore sitter), that I cannot imagine being happy. But then, I'm weird in not wanting to do social things or to go anywhere. I think we're all very different (imagine that!). Getting a power chair can mean a small one, without tilt, recline or leg elevation. I started out with one like that. I was able to get around our downstairs, other than the bathroom (long and narrow room). When transferring has ended I would think the options are big power chair or else hospital bed--or something similar, with head and foot elevation.

There really are folks who don't buy a handicap van. If the rentable ones are in your area, that might be an expense you can omit.

I might have missed something in your post, but perhaps you don't know there are many ways to control a powerchair? She could use a sip n puff for as long as her breathing lasts or steer with her mouth.

Also, in every town I've lived in, there has been a para-bus organization that you can call or make appointments to pick you up in your powerchair for people without vans.

I definetely think it's worth it if she still enjoys going out every week!

lorna
my pals has a pwc that he uses daily. and he only leaves the house once every couple of months.
he uses it mainly so he doesnt have to be in bed all day.

If your dealing with medicare. Make sure you get started about 3 months prior. Thats about how long it takes.

my power chaiir is my life . Dont forget without it you end up in bed all the time. No choice. They are a bit big, but driven after all by a tiny joystick. i loVE mine tho the house had to be changed about. I love being able to go shopping by myself - ok, other people have to pass me stuff from the shelves but thet makes them feel good for the day

I love that you're able to get out and about, Iris! Your freedom has increased so much after a very rough, frustrating time, I am (in my head only) shouting with joy for you. Love you!

Does anyone know how long VA will take to give me a power chair and will they put a lift on the back of the car.They did install the ramp in the front of the house,its long.

Your best bet is to get a wheelchair van through the VA. They give you $18,000 towards the van itself, then they put in a brand new conversion at no cost for you. Call a mobility dealer in your area, they will guide you. They will put on a lift on an existing vehicle, however you do not want to use up your one time grant on this.

Thanks, I go monday to see about a chair I think PPA has applied for mobility grant.This has hit us hard this was my 55th birthday gift woke up to this on my birthday.GOD BLESS ALL!

not to be a downer. but , i recall a pals spent alot of money redoing his kitchen so he could cook by himself and now he nolong has the use of his arms. i know i nor anyone can say how things will go in the way of how als will hit pals. but as far as spending money for items that are temporary has been talked about alot between my wife and I . yes buying a van would be cgeat but is there another way to get around that cost less. as for a power chair your als doc and clinic staff send referals to provider that come to you to do fit test and provide in fo about chairs.

SM, The VA pays for the van,so little if no expense comes out of the Vets pocket

dutchman- thats a very crappy birthday present and im sorry. its bad enough to come down with als, but on your bday- crappy slap in the face!

I think we must go with what Ann has said. The woman does not want one. It's not a huge deal really. It's a pain to push her around sometimes, but it's not all that bothersome. She will whine and moan if she has to wait to be moved to where she wants to go. But tough. *shrugs* I have gotten quite good at managing my own reactions to her demands. If she has to wait a couple minutes till I finish what I'm doing to go listen to music, she'll live. If it becomes more bothersome to her, then maybe she'll look at a powerchair.

I might have missed something in your post, but perhaps you don't know there are many ways to control a powerchair? She could use a sip n puff for as long as her breathing lasts or steer with her mouth.

Ooooh... I had NO idea. I shall look into this in case she changes her mind.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back