Diagnosis
08/2011
Country
US
State
VT
City
Waterbury
I was diagnosed with ALS about a year ago and have always had my doubts about the diagnosis. I sought a second opinion a few months after my diagnosis and based on testing that had already been conducted, most importantly an EMG done in the time leading up to my diagnosis, my condition was confirmed, or at least not refuted. My condition, physical strength, coordination etc, was in decline until perhaps mid-winter at which point it seemed to level off. A couple of months ago I started seeing improvements in strengths and coordination and within the last two or three weeks have begun riding a stationary bike more and more and doing some upper body exercises as well. I have seen significant improvement in my leg strength as well as arm and shoulder strength. Specifically my ankle strength has improved to the point of very close to “normal” walking, and I can now do 30 pushups whereas this winter I could do maybe 5. My main question is simply whether anyone had heard of such improvements and if it is possible that I was misdiagnosed. Of course I can provide additional detail but I wanted to first make this post and see what you all thought. Thanks for any insight you may provide.

Did you not have a second EMG?

Stating you could do 5 reps in the past and 30 reps now is subjective. What about "clinical" weakness as measured by the neuro? And, are you attending an ALS clinic?

I think you need to get back to the neuro and get a third opinion! If you don't have ALS, and you have something curable you need to know how to keep the improvements coming. I don't think anyone here is qualified to say you do or don't have ALS, but you don't improve from it.

I hope you get a different diagnosis!

Different diagnosis. Sounds like a great thing to me.

Wow, any type of improvement is promising! I'd definitely be seeking a 3rd opinion.....best of luck and hope you get some wonderful news! Please keep us posted!

Take care and best wishes.

Ruth

I'd get rechecked!

Go get another opinion. We hope you get good news that its something else.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back