Diagnosis
06/2016
Country
US
State
MN
City
Minneapolis
My Dean is in the later stages of ALS. He does not walk and has lost most intelligible speaking ability. He still eats but probably should be moving to purée, and will not as swallowing has gotten more difficult. He’s fought for sores for years, and picked up a case of C Diff that has never really quit. He’s on a maintenance dose of Vancomycin. Dean lives in a skilled nursing facility.

Latest development, Dean tested positive for Covid today, having experienced aches and weakness and coughing. It’s deemed “mild” thus far. I’m so afraid. We’ve been working to get him from Seattle back to his hometown of Minneapolis, near me. I visit one-two times a month and cannot now this coming weekend unless it gets bad for him.

Anyway, this ALS widow AND wife wanted to share with people who understand. Hoping for the best, preparing for the worst….

Last edited:
I wish both of you all the best.

Hugs to you, Lenore. Wayne had a fairly bad case of Covid back in August, and he did ok. There was a lot of cough assist useage, but he made it through. His FVC is in the mid-teens (approximately), and his speech is quite slurred. Let's hope there is the same outcome for Dean ❤️

Last edited:
Lenore, Thinking about you and Dean. Hoping this resolves quickly and you are able to see him soon. I hope he is able to move closer to you soon.

You and Dean are in my thoughts. I've been thinking about you, wondering if he ever got moved closer to you. That answers that question. I hope Covid stays very mild for him.

So sorry, Lenore --I know he has his sister, but lmk if anything I can do on this end. Hopefully, he will recover well.

Fever moves between 101-102, coughing and achy but was stable today/yesterday thanks everyone. Your thoughts help, truly.

And here are more thoughts coming your and Dean's way. All the best!

Hoping he has a speedy recovery Lenore.

Dean has okay 02 sats (93%), but is still using some oxygen to feel more comfortable. Between that and cough syrup and fever in check I think he is doing okay Covid wise. One day, one hour at a time.

If you want my true sense of what will happen here, I think he recovers from Covid, but the aftermath will shorten his life, and that can’t be helped. Seven years is a long time to have ALS and he hit that mark in May, officially.

My PALS was just shy of 7 years when he died. I still can't believe he is gone.

You are one brave lady Lenore.

Thinking of you and Dean, Lenore. Wishing for a speedy recovery so he can move closer.

Dean has apparently turned a corner and is much improved. I did battle for a cough assist for him, finally getting the Director of RT himself from Virginia Mason over to BBH to see Dean and set it up.
At this point in my life, between my late mother and two husbands I feel ready to write a booklet titled “How to Be A Healthcare Advocate: A Call to Arms” lol!
Thanks All.

Yes Lenore! You should write the book!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back