Status
Not open for further replies.
Did you get the book Chally?
If you want to clean out for them more than yourself, just keep asking them with each item - does this bring you joy?

Think about it this way - do you want to leave them stuff that won't bring them joy? Is it better to look at your things one more time as a purge is done, maybe tell stories about those things one last time, than to be gone and they just throw things without a thought?

I have used her method and done my clothes now.

I like in the book how you are supposed to thank each item for what it did in your life. It was strange, but it actually helped me to throw out clothes I was unsure over.
I've followed her methods on storing clothes, and everything looks so different it's amazing. I have way less clothes than ever, but don't feel like I have to go buy any new clothes even after removing so many. Yesterday I wore a combination of clothing I've never worn together before, nicer clothes than I normally work in at home, and I felt so good for it.

There is an old saying that less is more ...

I hope you can find the purge a way of connecting with your family rather than a loss Chally xxx

I am happy the method seems to work for you Tillie. It is almost as if we Westerners need a suspension of disbelief to see things her way and I think for it to really work you must truly embrace the whole method. Good for you! Are you going to tackle the other categories when you have time?

Oh yes Nikki, I've made a list of the categories so I can plan time.

Next is shoes and accessories - that will take me about 10 minutes to dump on the floor in one room, 5 minutes to discard most, and 5 to put away lolol I don't have much of them - though I didn't realise how many useless clothes I had either.

Then books ... I can see why she orders the categories the way she does too, I will be well into the swing of it by the time I get to the things that would be harder to sort through.

I love the strategy of gathering everything into one place and sorting the lot. I've never done clothes culling this way before, it was powerful - just the sight of every lounge chair, coffee table and some floor covered in clothing gave me the desire to seriously cull!

It's going to make Sheila Chandra's toothbrush strategy work once I'm done :)

I could never do it. Oh, I would try. I would set everything on the floor, pick up the first item, and then read it/play with it/repair it/whatever for the next several hours. Then go to bed with an even bigger mess on the floor!

Did it big time w/ daughters& friends. Wasn't bad at all and of course more needs to be done. Feel good about it especially the old papers and clothes. Yahoo! Love ya chally. Thanks whoever started this thread,really got me moving.

Thank you, Laurie, I really appreciate the energy share.

Mike, you make me laugh. That scene is sooo familiar!

Sounds like good success, Chally, Tillie & Nikki--I think I should read the books before giving them to my sister. Sounds like an effective new approach to culling, and I'm finding I've still more of that to do than I'd thought. No sense moving it all and doing it there.

Mike you would need to carefully read the book before attempting.
Any chat here about it won't make true sense otherwise.

I found a real difference in how I dealt with my clothes. And it doesn't tell you that you should throw out anything that matters, it is how you decide things matter that is really different.

Chally that is fantastic. It's going to take me a while to do everything, but I love how she categorises the way you do things. I would never have thought to do a clean out that way, I always did a room, or a cupboard or something at a time.

Mike I love the vision of your floor being covered with everything and you can't even put them away because you started playing with it all - that's all the stuff that brings you joy obviously!!!
Hang on, aren't you the one that is going to reduce everything to a backpack??? :lol:

What an interesting thread! I only de clutter when there is an outside reason to do so. ( much like all of us cals now).like if relatives are visiting etc.
After diagnosis, we planned a caravaning trip to warmer parts of our state to escape winter. I threw out all my corporate gear and posh stuff as I was going to go caravanning for 4 plus months. Whilst we were away,our sons moved home to help out when we returned.
They have been batching for years so our garage is very full now. We live out of town, and my Pal finds it so difficult to get comfortable so for the last 8 months,I haven't been near a shop that sells clothes or shoes. I have tried online shopping but I can't seem to make a decision there either! I've got over the need to buy things just because you feel the need.i look around our home and there are so many books to read,so many packets of seeds to plant,so many jars to fill with preserves,so many discs to listen to.....I could never leave home.....I am so busy here!.....if I threw some things away, what then! I know it will be different one day,but our lives were so busy with work before diagnosis,we never made good use of all that we had collected. Now,in between my caring for my pal, I discover new belongings in every room!!! ( I've got it bad, haven't I?)

Last edited:
I am going to hunt down this book. Thanks for this topic. I found it really interesting.

Aussie what has amazed me only having done my clothes is that I have found a new appreciation for the ones I have. Two days in a row I've worn a combination of clothes I've not worn before, and never before would I wear them at home working.

I've worked better by enjoying what I was wearing and for all the clothes I've removed I feel like I've got more clothes now!

Give the book a go - you may find you start to really use some of that stuff - you might read, and plant some seeds and fill some jars because you get rid of other stuff.

It's hard to explain the way it's made me appreciate and like what I've kept. I don't feel a need to go buy more clothes even though I've removed a LOT. Go figure! Nah I'm just going to accept and enjoy :)

So Nikki have you made any progress since you started the thread? You may feel revitalized just by reading our responses bwahahahahaha

What a wonderful thread. We have tons of stuff, and it feels like I've been trying to thin it out forever. As fast as I clear an area, more comes in. Matt has been buying toys (rc boat, race cars and track, etc) that I fear he may never really get to use as his hands are weakening quickly. His desire is to play with the grandchildren who seldom are here. But I digress. He's a builder and tinkerer and had amassed a very impressive stock of tools and supplies and materials and parts.... I'm as bad with books and pictures etc. I'm past ready to pair down, because all this stuff does is make it harder to clean which takes time for something I don't want to be doing.

I'm going to get the book. Perhaps it will convince me to let go of the cloths that I keep thinking I'll fit back into but never really wore when I could.

Becky
Queen of Everything

It is quite liberating. I am not a believer in the quantity of things is important. I am much more into functional items that look nice. It makes it easier

I've added the first of Kondo's books to my Amazon shopping cart. Since several of you have read it and recommend it, I'll give it a go!

Mike - you crack me up! Must be a "man thing"! That's why we have so many useless parts, etc. in our basement. My hubby always thought that "maybe that will be useful someday" and that maybe he could take apart an old fan for the motor, etc. So, I started with the basement and have gotten rid of a surprising amount of junk. I started there because it was the worst. If I can tackle our basement, I can tackle any job! (or so I think......).

My clothes/shoes are easy for me. I go thru my closet twice per year - at the end of Winter and at the end of Summer. I tell myself "if you haven't worn this all season, there's a reason (too tight, too short, not comfortable)! I resist the voice in my head that says "but I've only worn it once" or "but I paid a lot for that", and replace it with "someone else may love it"! I'm not always successful, but most of the items I put in the SalVal bag stay in there!

When my mother died suddenly, all of her kids (5) had to go thru her things. She had downsized to an apartment and she had a will, so it was easy. What I wanted most in her whole apartment were a few little odds and ends that she had had for years (an old bottle opener that had probably opened literally thousands of beers in a lifetime) - a little purse I had helped her shop for - a beat up metal box that she had under her bed for years with "important papers" in it. I still have these items and probably will until I die. Most serve me no purpose (well, o.k., I've kept the family pride going and use that darn opener!!), but the memories give me joy. That is why someday when I croak, my nieces' will be staring at jars of seashells and way too many books and knick-knacks and ask themselve - "what is all this crap"? Just things that made up two lives that did bring joy!

I am glad the thread sparked interest and action.

Tillie I have not really done anything- yes I have started using her folding method and am very pleased with results. Also just packed for a trip- the suitcase inside looks amazing. Otherwise I only looked at one cardigan that was hanging to dry, said this does not give me joy and put it aside. I will need help to do the categories - perhaps after my travel.

Progress?

Sitting on my ping pong table is an original watercolor I bought from the artist in Hong Kong. I bought it in the 1970s, put it in my ship locker, put it in a box in Guam, kept it in the box in Japan, college, Philippines, Korea, Germany, Texas, California, and Washington State. Now it's nearly 40 years later and I'm finally taking it out of the box to be framed in Florida.

I found the held-hand 8mm movies my parents made of me growing up. That was fun. Now they're trash. I have 19 audio tapes being converted to CD. They're audio letters to home that my Dad sent from Vietnam. Once I finish his biography, they're toast.

From my PALS, what am I supposed to do with a giant medical school diploma? When I move to Italy, will I pay to store it? And then what, keep it in a box until I die?

I still don't know where all the paintings and drawings are, that I bought off the street artists in Paris, Venice, Rome, and Athens. Oh well, at least I contributed to their economies.

Well, thanks, Nikki, for inspiring the clutter clean up. Goodwill and the Salvation Army are making out!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back