Darn Advertisements

Status
Not open for further replies.
O yes! we get it Al!:-D

Al,

Some sites require that you put in an email address for registration, then, assign your password to you and allow you to change your password once you recevie the email that includes the password to log in...... is that possible for this site?

We could then have their email address.

Then, if you will kindly send those email addresses to me, i've got a great IT dept. that would love to crash their computers?

thx,

Jamie

It's been a long time since I've worked on a vBulletin based board but if I remember correctly you can hold registration until the new member demonstrates they've used a valid email address. vBulletin will send an email on registration and the user will not be able to post until they have followed the link provided in the email. The user can also choose whether or not their email is visible. This will get rid of almost all the spam posts. Like I said it's been awhile for vBulletin but I know that PHPNuke supports those features and that one is free.

Hey ZenArcher, haven't heard from you in awhile. How is everything? If you feel like sharing, how about an update? Leslie

This is getting silly.
I've removed 8 adverts already and it's only 3pm.
Arrrrggghhh.

Al,

Ask the admin (is it david) if we can do the setup, where the site assigns a temp. password 4 new users, when a valid email address is given? This will eliminate the problem.

I'd like to get ahold of one of those adv. boogers...i would beat there a** witha biopsied left bicept, then kickem around, dragem in the mud, then makem cry....

rGds,

Jamie

I've sent him a PM about it and will see him Sat. if all else fails. I hate to bother him unless it's an emergency and while annoying it's not at emergency proportions yet. The users have to give an email when signing up but I'm not sure if the system checks if it is valid. The last 20 or 30 have come from the same area in Europe I believe.
AL.

yes, the system retrieves a valid email address; but I suspect the email addresses are all @yahoo or @gmail or @hotmail...

They'll be annonymous email addresses and there's little that anyone can do :(

The best we can do is delete/ban and hope they move on to the next site.

I check as often as I can, and delete these guys when I see them. It is annoying, but there are a couple of us to keep on top of it. The problem is, some of these guys don't seem to have a life. Seems like all they do all day is try to sell stuff that nobody needs or wants. Cindy

A lot of them are in Eastern Europe and Asia so they post at all times of the day and night.
AL.

Maybe we need some humorous ads, like:
I'VE GOT A BRIDGE IN BILOXI, HARDLY USED IN PAST 2 YEARS, FOR SALE CHEAP. Any takers?:-D:-D:-D:-D

I love the emails I get where it is from a bank that I do not even have an account with saying I have to verify my account number, password, and Social Security Number.:twisted: DUH!

I had 3 men come to my house this week telling me they were going to save me a ton of money on long distance phone calls. ( I get long distance for free with my current phone plan)

Then they began to ask for my phone number and other personal information. Claimed they were representatives of AT&T. Dressed more like they worked for a roofing company. I closed the door in their faces and called the police and they could not find them anywhere.

Seems AT&T does not do any door to door sales. Amazing....Scammers, Spammers, Phishing, what's next?

They probably wanted my phone number, which they did not get, so they could call and see when I was not at home and burglarize my house.

You never know these days who may be at your door, check before opening. :shock:

God Bless
Capt AL

Glad you had the presence of mind to shut the door on them, AL. The reason they ply this scam is that sometimes it works! Cindy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back