Loved one DX
Country
US
State
California
City
Cathderal City
Hi everyone!

It's been a while since my last post. Things have been a little crazy for my family and I since we have sinched up our belts, put our boots on and decided that having my dad come live with us IS the best decision for him and for us... needless to say, we jumped right in and I am excited to announce that we've started the ball rolling and he'll be all moved in before Turkey Day! I'm not too sure if my excitement is more because he is moving in and I know he'll be well taken care of (as opposed to the woman who only says she takes care of him so she can collect a pay check) or if it's because I have overcome my own personal issues as to whether or not this is the best idea for all of us. I struggled for weeks with the fact that I didn't know if I could handle it or was I being a bad daughter for researching "homes" so I would know for sure he was being taken care of. For the first time in almost 2 years, my dad is happy... he feels like he has a reason to live. This is the best thing for him.. being with his family.

Many thanks to all of you who offered me kind words of inspiration and pointed me into the right direction so I could find the necessary resources. We have a potty seat and even a hospital bed on the way.. both are "loaners".. but, hey.. who cares? THEY ARE FREE! And now he'll be even more comfortable knowing he can use the restroom a little easier and be more comfy in bed, too.

I understand that I have a rough road a head of me and I will admit to being scared.. but with the support of my immediate family and friends.. and my extended family and friends that I have made on this site.. I know I can do it!

Thanks for listening! Today is a great day! :-D

Hey tadpole. You rock. Great that you could get everyone to rally and help your dad. It won't be a piece of cake but I'm sure you can handle it. Way to go.
AL.

So we will have another CAL in our family! Good for you and good for Dad! Cindy

Hi, tadpole! Jeeez! You're blinding me! You're such a gem! Daughter of the Year Award should go to you! What's gonna happen to the woman that was taking care of him?

Irma

Congrats on making a decision! I think that the hardest thing is NOT knowing what to do. When you make a choice and put it into action, it feels so good because you're being proactive. Having a family that will help you take care of your father will make it much easier for all of you. His happiness will make it worth any sacrifices, trust me on that one!

I hope that you looked into Hospice and also caregiving income, being in CA myself, I know that there are many resources available and it will help a great deal if you utilize those all sooner rather than later. Hospice will take care of all medication ordering and delivery, as well as any special items you need such as walkers, wheelchairs, lifts, depends, etc... and they will think of things before you do, making it tremendously easier. Also, they provide a physical therapist, occupational therapist, counselors, home health aide's that can help with bathing and minor cleaning, etc. All for free, all in your home...

Good luck with things, I hope that the move goes smoothly and that your father and family are happy with the arrangements. :)

Calif...

Would you mind pointing me in the right direction for Hospice? Do I just call a local branch? Should I ask his Case Manager?

Thanks!

Thanks everyone

Thanks to all for your continued support and kind words. I know it's not going to be easy and I am still pretty nervous... but, I have my family and all of you to help ease my worries.

For all the PALS.. any words of advise that help make your lives easier.. my ears are open..

To my fellow CALS.... I'm honored to be a part of "the team"!

Miss Irma.. I don't know so much about the Daughter of the Year Award... but, hey.. I'll take it! LOL!

Much love to all of you.. I hope you are having a great day!

Your Dad's Dr. needs to call Hospice and ask them for resources. Once he refers your Dad, it should NOT take long for them to be able to help out with things.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back