Not open for further replies.

hkohlman

Country
US
State
Montana
City
Billings
:cry::cry:Hi everyone, I know it has been a while since I posted but now it is time. Yesterday was a really bad day. My dad lost use of his strong leg yesterday in the episode that follows this intro. Has anyone heard of Als causing any of these symptons without warning? We are meeting with social workers today to get hospice involved so he can go home.

Things went for the worst after I returned to my dad for his lunch. Around 2 pm he was working on his puzzle.He said he was dizzy and went into a cold sweat. He became unresponsive for about a minute. Then all of sudden he was talking with me again. He wanted fresh air so we went out on the deck. We came back into the house just as he lost control of his left hand controlling the wheelchair and started running into things with it. I asked him what in the hell was going on. He told me he could not see and everything was bright. I called my mom at work then 911. We spent several hours in ed with lots of tests. Not real sure what when on yet. They think a possible brain stem stroke might have occured. All I know is his blood pressure went from normal to very low to cause most of his symtons. 80/30 was first paramedic reading. In the ambulance his BP started to rise to normal. He lost the use of his strong leg during this episode. They admitted him on the medical floor at Billings Clinic. They are doing another ct scan today to see if anything changed overnight. Yesterdays ct scan was good. Blood work was also good. I so hate this ALS disease! I hope this is over soon it is very hard on me now I have to tell my kids today that grandpa is in the hospital then send them to school. I am not sure how I will keep it together I hope the lord has a plan cause I don,t.

Thanks for listening,
Heather:cry::cry:

Heather, my heart goes out to you and your dad. I don't know if I should say. "Hope he is feeling better," because there is no such a thing with this damn disease. It is so awful, and so tricky! Jeeez, a brain stem stroke? I have never heard of that one, but it sounds so scary. It is so hard to handle this damn disease, you'll never know what's next. How old is your dad? Okay, Heather I'm out, and may God bless you guys.

Irma

Hi Heather. Nice to hear from you again, although I am sorry it is with such bad news. Seems like one bad condition is bad enough, never mind two!:cry:

I hope things turn around for you and Dad soon. Cindy

Hi Heather. I'm not a doc but my father in law had similar things. TIA's or mini strokes. Could be the same thing. They can resolve themselves over time but the cause may have to be fixed. His were a partially blocked carotid artery. He was 76 when they fixed him up. He's 90 now and starting to have similar problems. In the middle of tests. Don't give up.
AL.

Thanks al cindy and irma

Thanks to all of you for your support. They are still trying to rule out the DX this time. MRI and a Caroted Artery test was done yesterday afternoon. We dont have the results yet to my knowledge. Even if it is the arteries causing this I dont think my dad will choose to have it fixed. He has done a living will and is ready to go with the lord. I think he is tired of living this way. He was always an active man and this disease has really taken a toll on him and our family. I really think that the lord was prepping us for the end espessialy me. My dad saw really bright lights and could not see. I think he may have seen the entrance to heaven Who knows though God will take him by his side when he feels it is time. It is not up to me. Thanks for the support again. I will update when i know more.

Have a blessed weekend.
Heather:(

It is always stressful when a loved one is in hospital, Heather. My thoughts are wiht you right now and don't forget to take care of you, too! cordially, Cindy

Dad is finally home

Hi everyone its been a long 3 weeks! Dad finally got to come home Friday the 16th. Just in time for me to fly to vegas for a well needed vac. with my hubby.

Dad came home with a hospital bed and a ezlift stander so we can transfer him. He lost the ability to walk totally when the stroke happened. Oh they do not know what caused the stroke everything checked out ok. The only thing they found was his blood pressure dropped really quickly when his legs were in a downward position. They adjusted his meds and things seem to be better. We now have visiting nurse service coming in 2-4 times a week to do PT and check his vitals. Right now mom and I are doing the majority of his care. She gets him ready before she goes to work. I come over an hour later and stay until mid afternoon when he takes a rest. I am on call if he needs anything before mom comes home from work. Today was my first day with him since he had the stroke. I was a little nervous but I seemed to do ok with all the new things since the stroke.

Oh and it had to snow to welcome me home from VEGAS ! About 7 inches fell overnight to make roads a big headache and make me cold all day! 70 degrees in vegas and 30 in Billings Montana What a change.:shock:

Heather,
I am so happy for you that your father is home. We have been having a lot of bad news lately, so it is good to hear something good. Take good care of your dad, and never leave without telling him how much you love him.

So sorry for the cold and snow, but as a Montana resident, don't you like the snow just a little bit?! Actually, I like snow, just not the cold that goes with it!

midwest girl

hey midwestgirl glad I was able to post some good news.

Yes I love the snow and we so need it. However the cold and icy roads can go away.

Hi Holly- Glad your dad is better. It will be nice to have him home for Thanksgiving. We had a dusting of snow here in the northeast the last couple of days. I always like it until about the middle of January, when I am done but the winter is just ramping up! :-D enjoy your holiday with your Dad! Cindy

Thanks Cindy but who is Holly? Im Heather. Anyways have a great turkey day, Dont eat to much !

LOL, Heather, I think I had my sister on the brain when responding to your post. About the only thing you two have in common is that both of you names start with "H". A senior moment, I guess! Cindy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back