06/2016
Country
IND
State
Madhya Pradesh
City
Ujjain
Hello,
I have came with a lot of hope please give me the exact guide to help my father. My Dad's been suffering from this disease from 06/2016 . From day before two days he is being admitted in ICU as he was having trouble in breathing and also was having problem in swallowing food. He had lost a lot of weight also. Doctor said he's suffering from bacterial pneumonia. They are treating him but I want to know that is there any possibility or not that he would recover from this pneumonia. I am not with him right now I'll be reaching at the hospital day after tomorrow. I was searching a lot about bacterial pneumonia but I can't understand wether his situation is very critical or will improve or get worse. I want to know everything before I meet him.
I am attaching his x-ray film if you can help me please tell me how bad his condition is.
Please don't hide anything if it is serious please.

Attachments

• IMG-20180116-WA0000.jpg
    IMG-20180116-WA0000.jpg
    33.1 KB · Views: 372
  • IMG-20180116-WA0009.jpg
    IMG-20180116-WA0009.jpg
    35.5 KB · Views: 316
  • IMG-20180116-WA0005.jpg
    IMG-20180116-WA0005.jpg
    19.9 KB · Views: 297
Hi, J,

Very sorry to hear about your dad. We cannot tell from here how serious the pneumonia is, or how well he is responding to antibiotics, but if you tell the doctors to be honest, I would think they would be. I would also encourage you to let your dad know that you want to know his honest wishes, and you will be honest about what you learn at hospital.

Is your dad using a BiPAP or feeding tube? It sounds like these should both be discussed, as his condition hopefully stabilizes, and these may help prevent future episodes as well as extending the length and quality of his life, if he is willing. The doctors can show him what each is/does when he is better. Does he live with a family member who is helping him? The more you can tell us about his situation, the more helpful we can be. Let us know what you find, and I do hope he recovers.

Best,
Laurie

Pneumonia is often treatable. However, many factors affect prognosis, and it is difficult to assess here based on limited information. Prognosis is affected by age, presence of other medical conditions such as chronic obstructive lung disease, diabetes, smoking history, alcoholism. Much depends on the type of bacteria they find, antibiotic sensitivity, and the underlying factors that may have predisposed him to pneumonia in the first place (e.g. aspiration, compromised immune system, etc.). Also, there is no substitute for the impression the doctor gets just by looking at and examining the patient. As Laurie says, talk to the doctor. We can’t really assess his prognosis here.

Best of luck.

Thank you. And #Laurie yes my mom's and my sister is with him.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back