Reason
PALS
Country
US
State
nj
City
paramus
Hi My 87 yr old father has recently been diaganosed with bulbar als. At the present time we have not given Dad a name to his disease. He has been told this is a progressive disease and symtoms will only get worse. His speech is very slurred. He is now eating pureed meals. I feel like I don't know what to do next. He is extreamly intellegent and I can't believe he hasn't figured itn out. He is on the computer every day and is a Ham Radio operater. He is having difficulty having bowel movements. He takes stool softeners and laxatives and somedays no luck. I really need someone to talk to. Thanks for listening

He probably knows more than you give him credit for. But I've found my mother doesn't really care what it is - she is just glad we've quit dragging her to different doctors all the time. She is 89 years old and was wonderfully healthy until a year ago. In February, the speech problem became pronounced and within a few months they narrowed down the diagnosis to PBP. In June she went on a feeding tube and accepted that someone would have to be with her most of the time. We have caregivers in the morning for 8 hours and the evening for 8 hours. She gets 4 hours at a stretch twice a day to have the house to herself. She too is a computer user, thank goodness! Being 1000 miles away, and since she has lost her ability to talk, that is our only reliable means of communication.

I hope your dad takes all the changes as well as can be expected. It's our job as their children to love them and let them know they still matter - no matter what happens. Hang in there and talk here. This is a wonderful group of folks. I've been reading this board since early summer and it has given me hope and courage. I hope it does the same for you.

Julie

weezee said:
Hi My 87 yr old father has recently been diaganosed with bulbar als. At the present time we have not given Dad a name to his disease. He has been told this is a progressive disease and symtoms will only get worse. His speech is very slurred. He is now eating pureed meals. I feel like I don't know what to do next. He is extreamly intellegent and I can't believe he hasn't figured itn out. He is on the computer every day and is a Ham Radio operater. He is having difficulty having bowel movements. He takes stool softeners and laxatives and somedays no luck. I really need someone to talk to. Thanks for listening

Hi weezee. Sorry to hear about your dad but glad you found our forum. If you use the search tab at the top of the page and type in constipation there are a few threads where that issue was discussed before. It might give you some ideas what has worked for others.Take care. AL.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back