Diagnosis
03/2017
Country
US
State
TX
City
Humble
Hi everyone, my Dad is now actively dying. He started rapidly deteriorating over the weekend. He couldn't inhale well and was gasping for air. He stopped tolerating his tube feedings and were increasing is morphine and Ativan doses everyday. On Monday the hospice determined that he was eligible for around the clock nursing care and that started Monday night. He is on 40 mg of morphine and 2 mg Ativan every 3 hours. His urine is the dark amber / tea colored. (What little of it there is)
On Monday morning he could nod or shake his head but that was the last real communication . He is unresponsive now but will moan and grimace right at the three hour mark .
I'm praying for him to pass quickly.

Peace and comfort to your dad. Lots of strength to you!

Very sorry, Leslie. Sometimes it helps to ensure that he knows you are at peace, however unresponsive he may seem. Softly talking to him, playing his music, etc. may help him feel at peace as well. I know it's Texas, but you may want to be very clear with the hospice, that the quality of his life now is more important than their dosing protocol.

Let us know if we can help in any way.

Best,
Laurie

Sending you and your dad strength and love

My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family...

Peace and comfort are the priorities. Sending you good thoughts and wishing you strength.

I agree with what Laurie said. If he needs more morphine to help his comfort, I would see that it is administered.

Thoughts of peace and love to you.

Thinking of you and your family. Hoping for peace and strength.

Sending a big hug to you. My father passed away 2 1/2 year ago of ALS. He had Hospice care for less then 24 hours before he passed. They kept upping his Morphine and Ativan to keep him comfortable. The Hospice nurse told my family to keep talking even though my dad was unresponsive. You don't want them to feel that they are alone. I said prayers with my father and held his hand. We all sat around and shared stories of happy times. Remember, the last thing to go is the hearing. Let him here the I love you's.

I am so sorry to hear about your dad. I know how hard it can be. I am going thru the same thing with my sister. Today was a rough day. She is on a bipap, and today she is breathing hard. There is a lot of rumbling coming from her chest. They say that her bottom lungs have no air getting to them. I am at a loss on what to do. Medicare says they won't pay for hospice since she is on a bipap. Or is it Medicaid? I get them confused so i am sorry. Anyway, the nurse is trying to get with them about it but its been weeks. I feel like she needs hospice. I think they could help us more then we know. I hope that they are providing you with what you need. And I am wanting the same thing, just for her to be at peace, and take her peacefully. I am losing my faith because of all of this. I feel terrible for saying that but she has been miserable for a long time now with no relief.
I am sitting with her now while she sleeps, breathing heavy and chest rumbling...

I hope you and him get the peace you need.

Tiabye, have you called all the hospice agencies in your network? BiPAP should not disqualify your sister with all of them. It is not true that Medicare (or Medicaid) will not pay the usual monthly hospice rate to the agency. They may be misinformed. Make sure they know this is NON-invasive ventilation.

Still, if you are in control of your sister's meds, with the drugs you listed before, you have the power to make her more comfortable. If you need refills based on increased dosage sooner than the doctor thought, call the office now to make sure you have what your sister needs. There is no reason not to adjust the dosage to her comfort -- that is really all that matters now. Feel free to start your own thread on this or add to your last one, as we should keep Leslie's thread to her.

Best,
Laurie

Leslie prayers for peace and comfort for all of you.

Hugs,

Sue

Thinking of you Leslie...may your dad have a peaceful passing.

Peace and strength to you and your Dad Leslie. My thoughts are with you.

Leslie, my thoughts and prayers are with you and your dad at this difficult time.

Sharon

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back