Diagnosis
02/2007
Country
US
State
NJ
City
Mays Landing
Beginning today, June 7 until June 27 CVS Pharmacy will be asking customers if they would like to donate $1, when using debit or credit card.

Hopefully, this will be successful in collecting huge funds for research.

Just a heads up to all in USA.

Wanted to post this on general forum also, but cannot find button like PMA site to "post new thread"? Can someone tell me how to post new thread on general forum?

Thanks!

Patty

Hi Patty,
At the top left of the page under user CP, there is an icon called new thread. Click there. By the way the CVS Pharmacy donation sounds like a great idea. We don't have that pharmacy in Canada though.
Laurel

Thanks for the heads-up, Patty. I read where Lorie was talking about CVS/ ALS fundraising, but didn't realize it was throughout the country. Will keep an eye out for it!
mare

Ok, so I just got back from CVS. Waiting as the cashier was checking out the customer in front of me. I see the little"paper thing-ies" hanging on the wall, showing all who have made a donation to support ALS research. I see the pile right next to the cash register. I'm waiting to hear the cashier ask the customer if she would like to contribute-
NOTHING! NADDA!

So it's my turn; I step up to the counter, she starts to ring me up and I said, "aren't you going to ask if I want to make a donation?" She got a little flustered, I think, and said yes, we always do- and picked up one of the "circles". I refrained from saying that you didn't ask the lady in front of me, and you didn't ask me. Instead I said, "my husband has ALS, and this campaign is really important- we really need all the help we can get!"

What surprised me was, as I said that, I got very choked up and tears came to my eyes.
Didn't do it on purpose, but if it has an impact on her to ask every customer from now on, then I won't be embarrassed!

My husband has ALS- I, however, seem to have the emotional lability! (LOL)

ALS donations

Hi Mare

Oh my goodness! I experience the same kind of emotion when I was in store. First, when I was shopping and heard the overhead automated announcement that from June 7 to June 27 collecting $1 for ALS. Then, in line as 3 people were asked and they said no, not interested in donating the $1. Thank God I had sunglasses on as I started to ball. Thinking just a lousy dollar people; but they have no idea. I made a decision that I will always donate to whatever cause a store is sponsoring when asked. Some people have no idea what ALS is and we even had a young nurse who asked my husband at regular doctor visit why he could not lift his arms and he told her he had Lou Gehrig Disease and she asked him if he was related to him. What! Of course she was in her early 20's but we still get a chuckle about George and his cousin, Lou Gehrig. People say the funniest things.

You are not alone Mare. Sometimes I get to my car and cry the entire way home and wipe my tears and "lights, camera, action" by the time I get in to see George, I am smiling and he has no idea about my crying spells. Will try and keep a stiff upper lip going back to CVS this week. It is a close local store that I go to weekly.

Patty

Hi, Patty-

Back at CVS today to pick up Rilutek rx. Different cashier, but again didn't ask the person in front of me about donating $1. I step up, she gets rx and WHOA!- she sees the cost and says to me as she points to the price "are you aware of this?"; (she seemed stunned at the cost! imagine that.) "Yes," I reply sweetly. And, I would like to donate $10 to this (I pick up one of the "ALS circles").

"My husband has ALS, and that is what this drug if for- and, it is not a cure; there is no cure. So, that is why this campaign is so important. Please be sure to ask each person to donate $1 for research." When I was finished, she seemed sincere when she said,
"and thank-you for bringing that to my attention."

I didn't cry today; felt a little braver. There were only 36 circles on the wall, though.
I may have to go back everyday until June 27th!

Mare

Way to go mare! I wish that I were brave enough (and articulate enough) to say that. I have gotten some very strange looks from my (very young) pharmacy cashiers when they ring in my Rilutek purchases.

Patty, all the best to you, George and his cousin Lou!

I have talkied to someone very high up in the CVS netwirjm U nat gave sine encouraging info for us.. I have taken what everyone has posted and used the info and it will hopefully make a positive change..

i hope i can be as strong as you patty it breaks my heart as i know it does all of you

One of my friends in the ALS world was just at Fenway the other day to collect a big cheque from CVS for ALS research; $4.5 or so I believe!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back