Diagnosis
00/0000
Country
AU
State
VC
City
GE
Hello, I was one of those people who was really concerned that I might have ALS because of the twitching and perceived weakness but my anxiety on the matter has subsided and my symptoms have lessened greatly(after reading the 'READ BEFORE POSTING' and other posts on this forum) which was in contrast to the various articles that I came across when reading up on the symptom 'twitching' which as you have probably heard, always comes up with about 1000 articles saying 'ALS' which sent me down a rabbit hole which lasted about a month or two.

One of the biggest questions I had and have seen others have, was simply was not answered by the dozens of articles I found and read, was how the weakness manifests, which in all of the articles I read, simply stated 'progressive weakness' which in my case for example: my arms were getting more and more sore as time went on when I was picking up my laptop or a carton of milk, which in my mind, was 'progressive weakness' I didn't know it referred to being slowly being physically unable to do more and more things, which I learned here.

But I could never discern from anything I've read is whether or not there is a soreness in the arms and then clinical weakness? Or If clinical weakness is one of the more early symptoms, and it appeared as though it occurred spontaneously? I could never find an answer.

So if anyone on here would have the time to answer, I think it could be very useful for people like me who came on here looking for answers and maybe stop so many people from coming on here and asking others for a diagnosis, which as I can imagine, is probably very infuriating in some cases.

Thank you for reading:)

No "soreness in the arms and then clinical weakness"has nothing to do with progressive weakness and ALS :)

Primary soreness before or during weakness is not a feature of ALS. There might be soreness in muscles that work, if someone tries and fails repeatedly to do something that other muscles will not allow, and cramps from muscles that result in positions that are uncomfortable, such as curling fingers, as well as pain from the inability to perform pressure shifts and unkink joints. But those are not some kind of precursor soreness. They are mechanical.

Muscle failure and atrophy in ALS occurs as a result of nerves that can no longer "talk to" the muscles, so the ability to do a particular movement for any length of time or at all can be lost seemingly overnight, but only after many nerves die, silently and painlessly.

Best,
Laurie

It's apparent you have dedicated a considerable amount of time researching
something you may think you have. Maybe more than considerable.

Have you been seen by a doctor or even more so.... a Neurologist yet?

If not, really.... until then that might be the first step to saving you a lot
of reading time and is the realistic approach to your many concerns.

Thank you very much for the replies everyone! I had a lot of confusion on the matter :)

And yeah I saw a doctor about it all but he said he 'doesn't know much about this stuff' so I've been meaning to see a neurologist about the twitching but covid has made that neigh impossible because none will see me in person. But I've yet to suffer any clinical weakness and it's been about 3 months since I started feeling a bit off, so I think I'll be right

Again thank you all very much!

Bigtimereader, as you wrote and my suggestion...

" And yeah I saw a doctor about it all but he said he 'doesn't know much about this stuff'."

See another doctor.

That one probably doesn't know much about a lot of other matters too. He should have
at least given you a referral.

Being you are so concerned to do the depth of reading you have done as stated...
even a "not in in person" Neurological appointment would be the best start.

At least give that a try. Again and really... until then.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back