Diagnosis
10/2014
Country
CA
State
Quebec
City
Tiny town w/no stoplight!
Ron and I are scheduled to go on a cruise (one of many with Norwegian) December 2015. We booked it in April last year, two months before he started having symptoms. Now he can no longer walk and is in a wheelchair. Recently he has trouble talking too much, he gasps and chokes. So fast...I can hardly believe it.

Anyway, when all this started, he and his friend decided on booking a cruise earlier - so we are going in April but hopefully Ron will be in shape to go then. Not too sure about next December though :cry:

Have you been on cruises, what shape were you/your PALS in, and how did you handle everything? Really need help on this - thanks so much and have a happy day

~ Heather ~ xoxoxo

Attachments

• Cruise April 2014 Ron Camera 084.JPG
    Cruise April 2014 Ron Camera 084.JPG
    3.5 MB · Views: 411
>Have you been on cruises, what shape were you/your PALS in, and how did you handle everything?

Christmas 2013 we did an 8-day cruise. I could still eat hash & eggs and get up off the toilet. Now I could not do one I don't think. We are goining back to Aruba end Jan and may back out of it :-(

We are booked to go cruising in March, all the disabled rooms were booked but we have asked for a toilet riser and a shower chair to help. Our cruise is for 17 days . So looking forward to it, just trying to confirm our insurance will cover us.
Love Gem

>So looking forward to it

we hoped to go back down under this fall (spring), but not looking so good riight now :-(

It's going to be an interesting experience, that's for sure. We managed to book a special room for disabled guests and our friends are in a regular room right next door. Ron is having issues with both his arms now; the weakness has moved up from his legs; and his fingers are very weak - he can hardly hold onto anything and drops a lot of stuff - and his fingers move very slowly to do something. His writing, of course, has suffered. That's now ... wonder what April will be like :-(

It's going to be an interesting experience, that's for sure. We managed to book a special room for disabled guests and our friends are in a regular room right next door. Ron is having issues with both his arms now; the weakness has moved up from his legs; and his fingers are very weak - he can hardly hold onto anything and drops a lot of stuff - and his fingers move very slowly to do something. His writing, of course, has suffered. That's now ... wonder what April will be like :-(

You might be shocked. With this disease, i quit making future plans. It is truly one day at a time with ALS. I know Mom was driving in December and basically bedridden by April.

It is indeed unpredictable but plateaus are possible as well. Make sure he is well rested before you go and plan rest time during the cruise. There is a natural urge not to waste a moment but in the long run pacing activity will work better and be more enjoyable too

take a laptop w/ lots of movies,tv shows -- I wathched all of glee during ours while Sandy was off Ship. get an external usb drive ...

take a laptop w/ lots of movies,tv shows -- I wathched all of glee during ours while Sandy was off Ship. get an external usb drive ...

Now that's a great idea, Max - thanks for that!

Make sure you take out some type of traveling insurance if you haven't already so you can back out if you have too. I have a feeling you will be able to make the trip ok in April especially with the help of your friends. But, the trip in December? I wouldn't book that far in advance. He most likely will need quite a bit of assistance by then that you won't be able to get on the cruise.
That is a great idea with the laptop.

I agree with skipper!

Make sure you take out some type of traveling insurance if you haven't already so you can back out if you have too. I have a feeling you will be able to make the trip ok in April especially with the help of your friends. But, the trip in December? I wouldn't book that far in advance. He most likely will need quite a bit of assistance by then that you won't be able to get on the cruise.
That is a great idea with the laptop.

Yes, we have travel insurance for backing out if necessary and for medical emergencies too. Love the laptop idea with the shows and movies! Great idea about bringing a couple of USB sticks.

We went for 8 days last winter on the Norwegian Gem. Hayden was walking with difficulty, no hand use at all, being fed, etc. Staff were fantastic..unsure at first but my day or be they knew us. Saved us a seat close to door so
less walking, didn't question our using washrooms together

We went for 8 days last winter on the Norwegian Gem. Hayden was walking with difficulty, no hand use at all, being fed, etc. Staff were fantastic..unsure at first but my day or be they knew us. Saved us a seat close to door so
less walking, didn't question our using washrooms together

We always go Norwegian and never tried any other cruise line. So that's great to know - thanks so much!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back