11/2005
Country
CA
State
Ontario
City
Toronto
My wife is in 2nd year Med School.

Her class is currently doing sessions on palliative care and terminal illnesses.

The general stuff alone would cause most people in our situation to break down - but the other day her class was split up into groups of 20.

Students from each group were then to participate in one of 4 scenarios requiring the student to advise a patient/actor that they had a terminal illness. These sessions are to develop bedside manner and the patient/actors act out the usual reactions when individuals are told that they have a terminal illness - sadness, anger, denial etc.

Once in the group the students were handed an outline of the 4 case studies.

Sure enough - ALS was the first case study - and just as my wife was trying to collect herself emotionally - she was called upon by the instructor to deal with the 1st patient/actor and advise him that he has ALS

She could not even respond to the teacher - luckily a friend of hers jumped up and volunteered to take her place - she spent the rest of the class staring at the floor holding back tears and trying to keep it together.

Breaks my heart.

Hi Richard. Tell her I'm sending a big hug for her from me. I can't imagine holding it together under the circumstances. She must be a strong lady. She'll be a good doctor someday. You're a lucky guy.
AL.

did they know her hubby had ALS?

If so, shame on them!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back