Diagnosis
7/2004
Country
US
State
TX
City
Mesquite
Hello. I saw my neurologist for a second time yesterday looking for reassurance. My mom died at 45 of ALS, so I always have it in the back of my mind. Long story short. He did not find anything in the clinical exam. He ran blood work and suggested an EMG for peace of mind. The office has a patient portal that you can log in to and check results. My creatine kinase total serum level was a 341. It says normal range is 24-173 (I am a female and 32 years old). I do have anxiety about ALS and getting this test result has, of course, thrown me into a tail spin. Can someone please give me some insight on this sort of thing? I appreciate your time.

It is a very non specific test. It could easily be elevated from recent exercise for example. Please do not worry about it. I am sorry about your mom. I am sure you have been told that having only one relative with ALS does not increase your own risk significantly. Fortunately most ALS is sporadic and the 10 per cent of us who are familial know it all too well.

Thank you, Nikki. I have read lots of your posts and have found them very helpful. I appreciate you taking the time to answer my post. God bless you.

Thank you very much :) I repeated my blood work today and my EMG is scheduled for tomorrow.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back