Learn about ALS
Country
US
State
PA
City
Scranton
Hello all,

I'm currently driving myself crazy with worry, and hoping some on this forum will be able to help me see my confusing symptoms more clearly. I am obviously hoping I do not have a serious disease, and I have read the stickies (multiple times). I'll start with some background:

Female, 45 yr. old. Generally very active lifestyle (not a major athlete but a physical job and always on the go). Considered to be in shape. I do have generalized anxiety disorder, with panic attacks, and tend to hyper focus. In late May of 2017 I suffered very mild herniations at L4/L5 and L5/S1 resulting in back pain and spasms but no radicular pain. I was placed on light duty at work which meant a lot of sitting. At this point the consensus is the back issue is not likely to be causing my other symptoms, as the herniation was very mild.

Mid-June 2017 symptoms of numbness and tingling of the lateral aspect of my right calf, and also the top of my foot began, and worsened to the point of burning when driving a car or standing too long. Also at this time, the sensation of numbness/perceived weakness across the rectus femoris (the quadriceps just above the knee) began, and I began to experience some foot drop when walking moderate distances. These symptoms would abate with rest.

I first noted twitching just below my right eye toward the end of June, which very quickly progressed to all over my body, sometimes worse than other times. Very large twitches, very small twitches, some visible some not, all over. Also noted spasming of low back, glutes, and occasional small cramps in calves and feet. I do take magnesium and have since added calcium and B complex, including B12. When I get myself scared of the twitching, and possibilities, they flare worse. I have had two previous times in my life where I have experienced twitching, but it was very minimal, and didn't last long.

Two internal medicine GPs examined me several times. Only 1 time noted right leg slightly weaker than left when lifting from a seated position. This has not been noted on exam since. I can do all the calf raises, walk on my toes and heels without difficulty, squats, toe-heel walk. Reflexes have all been normal. No atrophy noted.

Foot drop has eased up quite a bit, but my gait still doesn't feel normal to me - something in the quads/hip muscles that I can't put my finger on, and my toes now tend to grip. No noticeable gait abnormalities on exam, even in physical therapy. It just "feels odd" to me. I am able to walk the same number of miles per day as before my injury (average of 4-6 miles). I am having spasms in my piriformis, hamstrings and quads, so it seems my sciatic nerve is irritated at the very least.

A colleague who is a neurologist did a quick exam this week, in passing, said the problems related to my lower leg (the paresthesia and foot drop symptoms) are related to damage to the peroneal nerve related to my being a notorious leg crosser and the increased hours of sitting at work on light duty. I am set up with a formal appoint and EMG with him to confirm. He said the upper leg paresthesias are meralgia paresthetica related to weight gain of 15-20 pounds, and the way I have started sleeping (directly on my side).

Additionally, I am having intermittent numbness and tingling of the ring and pinkie finger of my left hand, as well as a portion of my arm between my elbow and wrist. My GP believes this is due to a pinched nerve, as I have issues with my neck. I am also feeling the need to continually crack the knuckles on this hand and they feel slightly stiff.

So, in summary, no clinically measurable deficits at this point. No demonstrable weakness, just a slight change in my gait that only I notice. No loss in dexterity, just a change in sensation. But, still, the twitching and slight cramping, spasming, (of course) and the slight gait disturbance with previous partial foot drop have me terrified. I know just enough about ALS to scare myself, but not enough to reassure myself. And I know my anxiety plays an enormous part in all this.

Does any of this sound even remotely like what anyone with ALS may present like? I appreciate any and all input and time.

Your pain and numbness aren't ALS.
Twitching is far too common to be diagnostic of anything.

ALS symptoms don't "go away" or improve.

You already know what's causing your issues, get your EMG, and stop feeding your anxiety by researching fatal diseases.

Thank you for your reply, I appreciate your time, and wish you the best. I will absolutely do my best to do as you suggest.

I apologize for intruding again, but I have one more issue I forgot to note, above. Today, the muscles in the left side of my jaw, neck and face ache, as if I've been tensing them. Is Should I assume this is also an issue related to anxiety, rather than a sign of ALS? All the muscles do appear to work just fine. They are sore and achy. Thank you

Not a sign of beginning ALS Nor does ALS strike multiple areas as you describe. Those with brutally fast progression to multiple areas wuickly are rare and unmistakable. Your neuro friend would not miss it nor would you be asking. You would have multiple non functioning areas

It could be anxiety. Or perhaps TMJ ?Teeth grinding? Check with your gp or dentist

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back