Reason
Learn about ALS
Country
CA
State
Ontario
City
Welland
I had my first appointment with Dr S. (neurologist) at the Cleveland Clinic Yesterday. After performing a series of test and reviewing my medical records we sat down for a "talk". The first thing he stated was to get ALS/MND out of your mind completely. The second thing he wanted to go over was the differences between "symptoms" and "signs". The symptoms pointed to an allergic reaction to medication causing neuropathy (even though some symptoms were atypical). However, my signs do not point to either MND or Neuropathy. He seems to think it is an over active thryoid gland so he ordered three blood tests and will send me a report by the end of the week. He saw something in my eyes, brisk reflexes (sorry Wright last time I told you they were reduced when I should have said 3+ to 4+), and my tremor. All other neurological test were fine.

So as I promised the Doctor, and more importantly my wife, I will stop searching the internet and let the doctors finish there diagnosis.

However, I did receive valuable accurate information here and support and I thank you all.

I did break down last week and admit to my doctor that the anxiety was getting to me and making things worse. He gave me a prescripton. Since then i have been able to sleep, eat enough where I am gaining weight and strength. Believe it or not the twitches have reduced dramatically. Never be embarassed to admit you need help with the anxiety.

Also I was warned by a "so called" doctor in Canada that the US medical system would just try and take all my life savings because they focus on profit. I would like to tell him he was 100% wrong. This doctor did not want to run EMG/NCV because he didn't feel they were necessary. I was completely impressed with the genuine health care I received and i would not hestiate to seek health care in the US if I could not receive it in a timely manner in my own country. Maybe the Dr S had a soft spot for me because both his parents were born and raised in Canada.

thanks again for the support you provided me and many others like me who visit this site scared and at times a little irrational. I now want to learn to live relaxed and enjoy the moments i have with my family.

God's Blessings to you all,

Thank you so much

Abbygirl

That is great news! Here's hoping you get the thyroid issue under control quickly ... and then you can get on with your life!

Thank you for sharing that with us.

Take care,
BethU

It is always nice to hear some good news, Abby. Thanks for sharing. Be sure to let us know how things go, won't you? Cindy

abby~

Take care of yourself. I am thrilled for you. I also started eating and sleeping better after a anxiety med. I never thought I would need one, but it sure helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back