Reason
Learn about ALS
Country
US
State
CA
City
Beverly Hills
We know that in a minority of ALS cases, fasiculations can precede atrophy and weakness. But what about cramps? In a case of ALS, can cramps precede atrophy and/or weakness, or do the cramps always occur simultaneously with atrophy and/or weakness? Any replies based on general knowledge and/or personal experience would be of interest.

Thanks,
Jeff

From many neurological medbooks:

(Translation, sorry for mistakes :) ) : "Cramps can preced other symptoms for a several months and can be first sign of motor neuron disease. Healthy people often get cramps in their calves."

However, people with BFCS have fascics and cramps and thats what BFCS is about. I hope its your case.

I had cramps a year or more before fasic's and atrophy took another year or so to be noticible.
AL.

Al--
In the year that elapsed from the beginning of your cramps to the beginning of your atrophy, were your motor functions normal?

Thanks,
Jeff

AL told me the other day, his motor was only running at 1/2 gas....:mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen:

Of course...mine is running out of gas..lol..

Ok, i thought this was funny..:mrgreen:

Yes they were. My small motor functions didn't really begin to suffer until after my diagnosed. and into the next year.
AL.

For anyone looking for a diary of early symptoms, the "brainhell" site at blogspot.com is as good as any I've seen. If you look at his earliest archived entries, you'll see descriptions of the minor cramps he felt, the stray fasciculations, the good day/bad day phenomenom, the carefully documented progression of his grip-strength decline over a 3-year period, etc. More recent posts deal with the daily life of a patient well into the course of the disease.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back