Status
Not open for further replies.
JULES,

I do not have ALS but do have cramping and twitching and sneezing, OH MY! (I love the Wizard of OZ).

Stress can bring on fascics and cramping. Are you stressed over anything? It sort of seems as though you are somewhat stressed about the possibility of having ALS or some other terrible disease.

I feel lousy and weak on a daily basis and my condition, in the beginning was "Suspected MND". I understand your fright. BUT, the good doctors have assured me I do not have ALS (PLS still a possibility until the neuro reads today's MRI).

Your problems may be a simple matter of needing to alleviate some stress or as simple as having a pinched nerve. I would suggest try to think of your problems as something minor, akin to a cold that will disappear in a short while.

If, in the meantime, you suddenly find yourself unable to walk, talk or swallow normally, consult your GP. Otherwise, please relax and enjoy all of the wonderful things you are able to do.

Last edited:
Zaphoon, Rose and others. Thanks for the input!

I know you're right about not worrying. My wife says the same thing. I feel bad for her as she has had to deal with this since mid-December.

As you know, it's easier said than done. I felt a little better 3 weeks ago after the Neurologist told me my EMG was largely normal except for some very mild peripheral neuropathy (what ever that means). Now for the last couple of weeks it seems like my cramping/stiffening is getting worse particularly if I try and lift things heavy or exert my muscles. It's not just localized but in many different areas. As I've never experienced this before it's pretty scary.

Thanks and God bless.

Jules,

Cramping was one of the first things I had. The cramping was mostly confined to my legs when I would be in bed. And yes it was the charlie horse type cramping too. Take your Dr.'s advice and allow God to give you a peace about this situation. Blessings to you and your family. Jake

Jake, thanks for your response.

Did you notice your cramping more after exerting the muscle group or was it just random Charley horse in your thigh?

Jules,

I think that the cramps were a result of me being very active and exerting the muscles quite a bit. I also noticed after I came home from hunting and doing a lot of walking, I would be sitting down and could feel and actually see quivering, just under the skin, on my legs above the knees, which I suppose is the thigh area. Jake

Thanks Jake. Did you have an EMG in your legs after you noticed this? How did it turn out and how long did you have the cramps? Have you been diagnosed ALS?

Thanks and I wish you the best.

Jules,

I have had 4 EMGs done now. I was diagnosed with "probable" ALS in Nov. 2005 in Houston, 2 yrs after experiencing first symptoms. The EMG's were conducted all over my body. I experienced cramps for about 2 yrs I would guess. I worked with my hands giving me problems due to muscle loss for 2 yrs before going to the Dr. The Dr. i'm seeing in Jackson, Mississippi doesn't think I have ALS. But of all the test he has done, he hasn't been able to find out what's wrong. Jake

Were all 4 of your EMG's clean?

Jake;

Thanks for your response.

I'm getting really worried now.

Here in Dallas, I had both leg and neck (no arms) EMG done 3 weeks ago that came back normal with mild peripheral neuropathy.

Since then the cramps have been getting worse in my forearms, and hands (when I text into my phone) after use. Some cramps in my calves and feet that come and go but in general are getting progressively worse.

My neurologist and a collegue of his at Stoneybrook NY see nothing ALS related by now I'm wondering if I found it so early on that the EMG and neural exam wouldn't show it yet.

I was very surprised at the number of people diagnosed with ALS who stated that their first symptoms started with cramping..

Thanks for your continued input!

Jules, just as many people have responded who have said that they do not have ALS. If you're going to pick and choose who's opinion matters the most, then let it be the doctors that examined you. They are the ones with many years of experience and training, have seen you firsthand, have seen your raw data from your EMG, etc. Going down this path is only going to serve to feed your anxiety. If you search back a few pages on the "do I have als ? Is this ALS" Forum, there is a thread that I'd started titled "first symptoms" please do yourself a favor and take time to find it, and read the information contained not only in my original post of this thread, but the information and links BethU added to the BFS forum. take care, :)

Rose;

I went back 7 pages and found your original post.

Very informative and thanks for letting me know about it and your continued patience.

Good luck for you and your Steelers on SB Sunday.

Wow, seven pages, I was going to go dredge it up, but kind of busy here online doing some bill pay and other fun stuff. .... yep, we're set for the SB. (the other half of the equation here is a Patriots fan, sigh, ) Last year, the TV (we're not big TV folks , so we only have one) died late the night before the super bowl. No kidding, walked into the room and the picture was OUT ! just sound. I actually found a local store that would deliver and set up Sunday morning. They guys followed me home, and even hauled out the old dead TV.

Take care, and truly try not to worry :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back