Diagnosis
08/2021
Country
CA
State
ON
City
Toronto
Is it often ALS patients have cramping, stomach problems and diarrhea? What can I do to help client with this?

If it is ALS related( important to remember not everything is) there are three areas I would look at.
first is diet Tube feed formulas are common culprits as are nutrition drinks

second is meds/ supplements

third could they be constipated and having diarrhea around an obstruction?

what changed around the time this started?

I developed an anal fissure which, IMO, had nothing to do with ALS since I was still mobil. I attribute it to chronic constipation when my bidet broke. I had a procedure to fix it and I got a new bidet.

I've had issues with stomach problems from both Tudca (2017) and Riluzole (2015). I stopped taking them immediately.

Various food gives me GERD. I have to be very careful about what and when I eat.

I recently ordered some Kate Farms shakes to see if I tolerated them. They have the same ingredients in the tube feeding shakes.

Nikki brought up something my mother experienced and that is diarrhea around an obstruction.

If you take supplements, do you take them with food?

Kim, the OP appears to be a caregiver.

May, many PALS are prescribed tube formulae that are basically corn syrup, very hard for anyone to process and not very nutritious. So if the client is being tube fed with one of the traditional products, trying a better formula like Whole Story, Real Foods, or Liquid Hope (insurance will often pay for one of these) could be a logical move.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back