Not open for further replies.

RockieMtnGirl

Reason
Learn about ALS
Diagnosis
00/0000
Country
US
Hi. I have a couple of questions. Has anyone else had their PCP order a CPK test? My doctor said it would show muscle deterioration. Is anyone else familiar with this as a possible ALS test? I read the READ BEFORE POSTING, which were an amazing resource of information, but I am wondering if instead of twitches people get more jerking? I feel like my involuntary movements are big jerks, that being said I also have twitching. Also at what point do people head to a neurologist? I could not adore my doctor more but when I saw her yesterday she did say she isn't an expert on diagnosing ALS. One last question, approx how long after twitches/jerks/fascilations start does weakness normally start? Thank you for your time.

Good you like your doctor. Maybe don't ask her "Do I have ALS?" but "What could be causing my symptoms?"
Normally no weakness at all starts after twitches/jerks/fascilations as those symptoms would more likely be caused by something else. Something benigne like BFS or plain old stress.

Twitching and jerks, same thing, without actual clinical weakness that every your regular doctor can confidently diagnose, ALS is not your issues. CPK testing is commonly done, I suggest you ask your doctor exactly what they are looking for in your case.
Stick you letting your doctor do the work, if you continue internet trawling you will go down a rabbit hole.

One more question- I have ready the sticky but is it possible to have all over body jerking and twitching and have it not be ALS? I twitch and jerk all over my body. Thanks

As already said yes not only possible but without other findings most likely. Weakness detected by the doctor is the hallmark symptom jerks and twitches are not

I don't think there is any clearer way we can say to you that twitching means absolutely nothing on its own - it is failure of muscles. So the answer is NO. Also it is even less likely to be ALS related if you twitch and jerk all over your body.
Please let this go.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back