COVID Vaccine

Status
Not open for further replies.
Last Friday Colorado announced an update to their vaccination distribution plan.

They changed the "high risk" criteria to eliminate most respiratory conditions (COPD is still on the list). They also removed all neurological conditions from the list. So, to be high risk, you have to have certain heart diseases, COPD, obesity, diabetes, pregnancy, downs syndrome, or have chronic kidney disease. I have none of those. It is hard for me to believe I don't have a high risk condition.

They moved folks aged 65 to 69 into phase 1B and also included in Phase 1B folks 16 to 64 with two or more high risk conditions.

I will qualify in Phase 2 due to age (60 to 64). Phase 2 also includes those with one high risk condition, but I apparently don't have a high risk condition.

So, as things currently stand, it looks like close to half of Colorado's population aged 16 and above is ahead of me on the list.

They are estimating Phase 2 will be "Spring".

I am sure the criteria will change again soon. They seem to make a change every week or so.

Steve

Steve, that is so aggravating. I'm sorry.

I was online waiting for about three hours today.....until appointments ran out. I'll try again Wednesday.

FYI: Please do NOT listen to the conspiracy theorists on Facebook posting on ALS sites. Good grief.

I received my covid vaccine yesterday. No problems, no side effects. I am not yet 65, but still was able to obtain the vaccine.

To all of you wanting and waiting to get vaccinated, especially those whose respiratory system is compromised, I would recommend not taking "no" for an answer, and not waiting for months until someone deems you eligible. The people making these decisions do not even know what ALS is, let alone how vulnerable we are to covid.
Make direct contact with every decision maker you can- the director of your local health department, chief medical officer or CEO of your local hospital, ALS association representative, State representative/senator, US representative/senator, governor. Many of these people, as government officials, work for you. Tell them your story. Someone will be willing to help you get a vaccine that is crucial in preserving your life. Some of them actually want to help, but they do not know your personal story and how important the vaccine is to you.

If all else fails, contact your local newspaper and TV reporters who are covering Covid. Many will be interested in your story. Shedding light on your situation will put pressure on those in charge to provide you with a vaccine. I had to do more than should be required to get my vaccine, but I am glad I did.

Is the ALS association doing anything to lobby for us?

received my first vaccination yesterday through the emory system.. emory secured access to a now vacant kohl's department store and used it as a mass vaccination center. in and out in45 minutes, including a 30 minute observation period. a very efficient first class act. i understand we will be seeing many more operations such as this across the country. phizer.

I received my first shot over a week ago, I had only experienced arm tenderness for about a day. Now last night my arm has swelled up at the sight with a couple of hives and is so itchy. Going to call the pharmacy today to see if this is normal. Most people I have talked to that have received the 2nd dose have had alot more side effects. Not looking forward to that but guess it's better than covid.

Nona- if you go to the ALSA national website they share what steps they have taken to advocate for us. I'm not anti-ALSA, but it doesn't seem like enough. Here in FL there are approximately 1300 pALS, many of whom are in desperate need of the vaccine. I would have thought that the state ALSA and the certified clinics would have been able to secure at least 1000 doses.

Plcare,
You have to fight in Florida if your compromised and under 65 to get the vaccine. It took my neuro to write a letter and a caring pharmacist to get my first dose.

Jessie,
Find out how they're rolling out the vaccine in your state. Some states are including Pals in the first phase.

Lisa, they are not in the first phase in NH, which my neurologist confirmed.

Lisa
I just received my first dose through my clinic at Holy Cross. The issue with FL is that publix will only vaccinate 65 + and heathcare workers. Your clinic should provide you with the vaccine because we do qualify as first group. All the Patients at my clinic were all done 3 weeks ago . I would reach out to your clinic.
Kelly

Kelly,
Glad you received your first dose. I was able to get vaccinated at Publix through some dealing since I am only 62. I hope everyone is able to find a way to get the vaccine.

Lisa, that's strange about the hives a week later. It sounds like a delayed allergic reaction rather than a symptom of your body responding to the vaccine. Let us know what the pharmacist says.

I have an Epi-pen on hand and some Benadryl since I react to so many things.

Good to know. When we spoke with the pharmacist he said I was the first one to report these symptoms 10 days after receiving the first dose. He told us if symptoms continued to go and get checked out. Hopefully this will subside.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back